Bergdahl to be charged

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by uscvball, Jan 27, 2015.

1. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

"While a court martial could lead to imprisonment, defense and military officials tell NBC News it is likely Bergdahl would be given consideration for the 5 years he spent in captivity and be permitted to leave the Army with a "less than honorable discharge." If accepted, Bergdahl would be denied as much as $300 thousand in back pay and bonuses, and reduced in rank to at least Private First Class, the rank he held when he disappeared from his outpost in Afghanistan."

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/bowe-bergdahl-be-charged-desertion-officials-say-n294466

2. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Well, isn't he getting off easy. He should be charged with desertion, because that is what he did. I refuse to recognize him as a sgt.

3. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

wait, they promoted him while he was gone?
    im so confused.

4. shane0911

Yes, while he was hanging out with his taliban homies the army decided he should be awarded the rank of Sgt. I disagree. He is a piece of useless shit that should be trampled on and washed down a storm drain.

gyver likes this.
  5. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

i wonder if that would work on my job?
    wow, im really surprised that this happened. Walk off a job and get promoted.

LSUDad likes this.
  6. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

He was promoted a few times, the first coming in 2011. They were standard time-in-service promotions, not meritorious. Clearly the US knew he was being held but never formally said he was a POW. Without a proper inquisition, it would have looked shitty to withhold rank and pay for an American being held against their will.

It would also have looked stupid for the US to trade a deserting PFC POW for 5 terrorists.

Winston1 likes this.
  7. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

As if it wasn't shitty enough already. The whole Berdahl mess is a window on the Obama administration. Arrogance, smugness and a clouded world view capped by incompetence and poor management.

tirk likes this.
  8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I suspect that he's kind of a nut job and should have been washed out long before. It has long been unclear if he deserted or just went AWOL and got his ass captured. Either way, five years in a Taliban lockup and a DD with no back pay or benefits seems like the Army's best way out. Why let him cost us $75,000 a year to sit in a US prison? He would just get crazier.

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

What political crap. This is about the Army and a dimwit soldier. Obama didn't have shit to do with it.

10. shane0911

Unclear to who?

tirk likes this.