Beginning of the end

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSU_4_LIFE, Sep 5, 2021.

1. northernvatiger

northernvatiger Founding Member

Here's what I don't understand about O. If all of the above is true, doesn't he realize he's digging his own grave? Or is he totally lacking in self-awareness? I mean, he's essentially sabotaging himself. Is that what he's trying to do?

Then of course is his off the field behavior. I don't get it.

LSU_4_LIFE likes this.
  2. Guido Merkins

Guido Merkins Founding Member

You could ask that question of every single failed head coach ever, couldn't you? Why wouldn't Les Miles change his offense? He had to know he was digging his own grave, right?

Coaches do what they know to do and it's hard to do something different. That's what separates the great ones, from Ed O and Les Miles

Perfect example and people are gonna not like this, but here it is. Truth. Nick Saban would rather win with running game and defense. But he knew the game was changing and he totally changed his offense AND also recognized that how you coach defense is now different. It's about being situationally good, total dominance for 60 minutes might not be possible anymore. That's why he's a great coach with all the rings

And BTW, I heard an interview with Dave Aranda and he recognized the same thing. The 2019 defense wasn't dominant, but they were very complimentary for our offense and we had success with that.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
  3. Pjoe

Pjoe Formally Known as $TigerFan$

Head Coach at a major University is just like the CEO of a major company. They have to lead, make good hires, improve (or at least sustain) profits, and bring class to the organization. Now there are some overlooks if the guy can flat out make money or win games, bring intangibles to the table. Winning the title bought him some time, but we can all see his capabilities which are short of the standard for LSU. We can only hope that he doesn't do something stupid to get us sanctioned before he leaves.

northernvatiger and LSU_4_LIFE like this.
  4. LSU_4_LIFE

LSU_4_LIFE Founding Member

You ever had a boss who took credit for the hard work of his or her employees and once said employees left, was exposed for who they truly were? One so arrogant they believed that they (not their people) were the reason for the companies success.

I think that’s how Ed feels about himself and LSU (specifically 2019). It wasn’t all him, it was our assistant/associate head coach Dave Aranda and his defense. Our mature (actual former LSU player) Steve Ensminger putting his ego and pride aside and using the brains of Joe Brady and our Heisman winning QB who was a pro QB playing college football (let’s be honest).

When we lost those pieces, and were left with just Ed, we’ve lost 6 of our last 11 games.

Sure, players love him, because he’s more of their buddy than he is their coach. That raw raw shit only goes so far. These kids need to be de-recruited, coached up and continually earn their positions every week.

If I see the same starters that I saw last year and against UCLA at LB and along the o-line on Saturday and moving forward, I’m not sure I’ll watch much more LSU football this season. Ed’s stubbornness and loyalty to these players who have proven are incapable of getting it done will be his grave. That and all the other unprofessional embarrassment he’s bringing to LSU.

northernvatiger likes this.
  5. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

I was telling @tirk the other day about the Dr Death podcast on Christopher Duntsch. The guy had himself convinced he was a damn neurosurgeon and was basically running around cutting peoples heads off. He wasn't evil, he wasn't doing it maliciously he really thought he knew what he was doing and I think that is where we are with O. I think his heart is in the right place but man, he just doesn't have the goods.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
    Pjoe, XXL TideFan and LSU_4_LIFE like this.
  6. TCUTiger

TCUTiger Founding Member

Just an fyi, the coach that just beat LSU, with his 10-21 record would already be fired here, just sayin. All you Arranda lovers, he inherited a team that won 11 games the year before and then beat Kansas and Kansas State with a team whose coach went to the NFL, not fired.

I get that EO appears to be less than skilled as a HC, but he is still 1 year removed from a NC. I saw a bunch of problems on that field with basic football skills among players that hear all day long they are some of the best ever at LSU, they PLAY the game, not EO.

tzanghi, shane0911, Hou-duco and 2 others like this.
  7. Don Castavez

Don Castavez Still liking scotch

Staff replacements more than likely fell short of the green because word on street is ‘19 was a fluke . A blind coon ass squirrel found an acorn so a sinking ship is not a good career move .
    I’m not saying I agree with that perception but trash talking with a PAC 12 fan no less and then getting your dick knocked in the dirt ain’t a good look any which way but loose.
    Haden’s big picture perception and decision of Baby Huey starting to make more and more sense.
    I’m almost sensing from Baby Huey ‘Fuck all of you . I’ll always have ‘19’

8. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Fundamentals are also Ed O’s responsibility. Actually, his first responsibility. I suspect we’ll see improvements before we get to the SEC games.

LSU_4_LIFE likes this.
  9. LSU_4_LIFE

The remainder of this season will come down to these coordinators. We will go as they go.

Hou-duco likes this.
  10. LSU_4_LIFE

Back to the basics.