BCS: Schedules of teams ranked above us

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSU, Oct 16, 2005.

1. LSU

LSU Founding Member

I know it's too early to talk about this, but it's a message board. Assuming LSU wins out, what are the chances of making it to the Champ Game? Let's first examine who stands indirectly in our way.

USC: at Washington, Washington State, Stanford, at Cal, Fresno State, UCLA. Analysis: Cal, Fresno State, or UCLA could cause major havoc for Trojans. Could be blessing that USC beat ND because if ND won and wins out, no way does LSU move past ND (and probably USC). Should USC lose one of these later games and LSU keeps winning, LSU should move past.

Texas: Texas Tech, at Oklahoma State, at Baylor, Kansas, at Texas A&M. Assuming they win these, UT would play probably either Nebraska or Colorado. Texas is probably the team likeliest to go undefeated into the bowls this year, though Texas Tech next week will be interesting.

Virginia Tech: undefeated looking very unlikely now. At Maryland, Boston College, Miami, at Virginia, North Carolina. Then if they escape that, it would be FSU or Boston College in the ACCCG. If they win out, they deserve the national title game. Don't think that'll happen, though.

Georgia: Arkansas, Florida (neutral), Auburn, Kentucky, at GA Tech. Probably will wind up in the SECCG. It would probably benefit LSU if UGA is undefeated at that point. It could very well be #1 or #2 (UGA) vs. #3 or #4 (LSU) in the SECCG if both are undefeated. Would that be the game of the century?

Alabama: season's credibility built on the big win over Florida. Still have Tennessee, Utah State, at Mississippi State, LSU, and at Auburn. That's pretty tough stuff. LSU-Bama will be a good one. Of course, this post is already assuming that LSU wins out, so no SECCG for Bama.

Miami: Georgia Tech, North Carolina, at VA Tech, at Wake Forest, Virginia. If they win out, they will face either FSU or Boston College in ACCCG. I think Miami has a better shot at the Champ Game than VA Tech, and if miami wins out, LSU will not better them. Ideally, Miami loses to GA Tech and then beats VA Tech.

Teams ranked below us that have a chance at jumping us:

Texas Tech: at Texas, at Baylor, Texas A&M, Oklahoma State, Oklahoma (Nebraska/Colorado in BIGXIICG?). If Texas Tech beats Texas, they will jump us. If they win out, LSU has no chance.

UCLA: Oregon State, at Stanford, at Arizona, Arizona State, at USC. They win out, they jump LSU. Ideally, they lose at least once before beating USC in the last week.

My key matchups:

LSU -- every game.

USC -- Cal, Fresno State, and UCLA (last 3 weeks).
    Texas -- Texas Tech, Texas A&M, BigXII CG.
    Virginia Tech -- BC, Miami, Virginia, ACC CG?
    Georgia: Florida, Auburn, GA Tech, SEC CG.
    Alabama: Tennessee, LSU, Auburn.
    Miami: GA Tech, VA Tech, Virginia, ACC CG?

Texas Tech: Texas, Texas A&M, OU, BigXII CG?
    UCLA: Oregon State, Arizona State, USC.

Good news: LSU can directly jump Bama and Georgia. Miami and VA Tech play. Meaning that if LSU wins out, LSU should be no worse than #4, but will likely be higher.

2. LSU

LSU Founding Member

3. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

Nice thread LSU. I joined this forum the week after the Floriduh loss in '03 and said similar things in a thread back then. Most people on here thought I was crazy at the time, with the exception for the forum stat boy, islstl.

4. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

Havent you been listening? The game of the century, no...millennium...hell, best game EVER was yesterday in South Bend! We might as well just quit playing football.

For the record, I have also been drawing some comparisons between this year and 2003. I just dont think its in the cards for us this year. I expect to see several undefeateds at the end of the year. You never know though, anything can happen.

5. MikeDTiger

MikeDTiger Geaux Tigers!!!

Maryland is tough as nails at home. Even in last year’s horrible year, they still beat Florida State. I’ll definitely tune in Va. Tech at Maryland on ESPN this Thursday.

6. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

obviously we need help in the national picture. im really hoping that none of our opponents slip up against weak opponents (like bama almost did)-those would help us get in SECGC but hurt our computer rankings. guess i'll pull for bama against ut to keep the LSU/Bama game's in national hype.

unfortunately, all lsu is really doing is playing for a bcs spot. it's UT & USC for the title.

7. LSU

LSU Founding Member

Update to this post:

USC: Stanford, at Cal, Fresno State, UCLA.
    Could be blessing that USC beat ND because if ND won and wins out, no way does LSU move past ND (and probably USC). Should USC lose one of these later games and LSU keeps winning, LSU should move past.

Texas: game in progress against Oklahoma State, at Baylor, Kansas, at Texas A&M. Assuming they win these, UT would play probably either Nebraska or Colorado. Texas is probably the team likeliest to go undefeated into the bowls this year, though Texas Tech next week will be interesting.

Virginia Tech: Miami, at Virginia, North Carolina.
    If they beat Miami, it will be FSU or Boston College in the ACCCG. Best case scenario is that Miami beats VA Tech next week and then Miami loses again, perhaps the ACCCG.

Alabama: at Mississippi State, LSU, and at Auburn.

Miami: at VA Tech, at Wake Forest, Virginia.
    If the U wins out, they will face either FSU or Boston College in ACCCG. If Miami wins out, LSU will have a tough time moving past them in the polls, but not sure about the computers.

Team that could jump LSU if both win out:

UCLA: at Arizona, Arizona State, at USC. They win out, they jump LSU. Ideally, they lose at least once before beating USC in the last week.

8. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

Overlooking Penn State in this mix may be a major error. They are #9 in the BCS and have just two games left... at home to a ranked Wisconsin, then two weeks off to get ready to play at Michigan State.
    I don't know if PSU is any more "qualified" than anyone else, but I do suspect they will garner their fair share of the votes.

9. NoGeaux

NoGeaux Freshman

"Team that could jump LSU if both win out:"

I am trying to follow you here. If you are talking about the BCS UCLA has already jumped us. The jumped us last week. UCLA 7 in BCS and LSU is 8 in the current (before yesterdays 10-29 games)

Are you talking about AP, USA Today and Harris Polls?

:geauxtige

10. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

He started this thread two weeks ago.

Welcome to the forum.