basketball roster thread

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Jmg, Apr 13, 2022.

1. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

shane0911 likes this.
  2. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

But Will Wade...

3. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

indeed wade had a superior team lined up for next year. but you take what you can get

MobileBengal and shane0911 like this.
  4. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

last years team finished 9-9 in the SEC in 5th. will this team be better? maybe.

last year pinson was calm and ran the offense. when he got hurt, gaines ran the offense with the polar opposite of calm, frenzy. so lack of PG depth hurt. if miller had been healthy, he might have been able to bridge the gap in ball handling while pinson was hurt. and having gaines playing more minutes also hurt him as his diminished his role as designated energy lunatic, a role at which he excelled. he can use those quick long arms to slap ball away like nobody's business. but he fouls alot and was less of a menace playing full time. gaines has incredible athleticism and decent vision, but no real broad grasp of running offense. also he simply is too skinny to take it to the rack hard. he isnt a fill time PG at this point in his career. maybe with development minutes he will improve and as a senior at UAB he will be a wizard. seems possible.

but this year we have crazy ball handling depth. murray effectively had two point guards playing big minutes, trae hannibal and juice hill. both are competent and quick. plus the NC st transfer is a pure PG, cam hayes. so they could deal with an injury without a total breakdown of the offense like happened last year in that terrible SEC stretch. so i think we are upgraded at PG.

miller will start at shooting guard and compared to last year, thats is brandon murray's spot. murray was awesome and i think he led the team in plus-minus, because he was an effort monster on D. cant get around him he is trying too hard. but miller is good, we all have been told, so lets call that an upgrade as well.

at 3 last year you had eason leading the way, and there is no way they can get that kind of performance this year without a miracle. tyrell ward is highly ranked and touted and he looks awesome, but eason was a monster (when he wasnt fouling out). eason would block a guy and then go dunk it. he was massively athletic and he could drive and shoot. he was awesome. even if we assume borderline 5 star tyrell ward comes in and grabs the SF with authority we cant expect he will play at 1st round NBA level like eason did.

eason of course didnt start, he was a 6th man, playing behind wilkinson. since wilkinson is still around, he counts as a mild upgrade as a more experience upgrade to himself. but overall with eason gone its a downgrade.

at 4 last year you had darius days. we all know what he did. this year you will have kendal coleman and jalen reed. coleman was awesome at a shit school, and reed is ranked about where days was coming in. but days was a 4 year man with experience and a bulldog attitude. gotta think this is a downgrade for now.

center last year was 5 star bust efton reid who played like the softest gentlest most hesitant big guy ever. instead of grabbing ball and dunking ball, he thought about it a while, hesitated, faked 5 times, considered it again, then tried a sky hook. late in the season some of those soft gentle shots started going in, but it was too late. BUST.

now we have KJ williams, a high skill big man, and huge backup raw dunk smasher shawn phillips. definitely an upgrade.

last year on the bench you had fudge (rumor is that fudge was not giving full effort at times and got on wade's bad side), gaines, williams (still here), shareef, and some clowns who never played. this year you still have williams, and cam hayes, derek fountain and trae hannibal and whoever isnt starting among the guys i already mentioned and corneilous williams. not bad.

so, is this team better than last year? i dunno! maybe. maybe not! but the fact that i cant say for sure is great news, considering a month ago i thought we would be a gang of dumbfucks that won 2 SEC games.

MobileBengal likes this.
  5. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

MobileBengal likes this.
  6. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

MobileBengal likes this.
  7. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

it appears shareef has stayed in the NBA draft. i dont think he can return to college. i could be wrong, the rules are very confusing, but i think he is headed to G league at best.

shane0911 likes this.
  8. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

At the very best. He isn't very good

9. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

His DNA will get him a chance, but if he's going to have a hoop career, it will be overseas.

10. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member