Baseball v Vandy (2010) Series Thread

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by PodKATT, May 7, 2010.

1. PodKATT

PodKATT Time to Put Your Pants On

[​IMG]
    Credit where it's due, Vandy's current logo may be a rehash, but it still looks great.​

It's going to become cliche over the next few weeks to say that "every game matters" on LSU's path to the post season, but that is the reality that we face thanks to the skid. Winning our last 3 SEC series is vital to us recovering our seeding in Hoover and our chances at SR hosting. Lest you think I'm over-reacting, I'm pretty sure that hosting v. non-hosting Regionals and Supers has a profound effect on whether or not LSU makes it to Omaha.

But lets not get ahead of ourselves. The 'Dores (33-12, 10-9 in league play) are coming off a series loss to Tennessee, a mid-week stunner at Austin Peay (lost on a go-ahead run on a wild pitch of all things) and a single game over UGA last Friday. While they are just behind us in the standings, it's a given fact that they would have swept UGA and would currently be ahead of us if not for the several feet of water on Vandy's Nashville campus last Saturday morning. You may think that Vanderbilt will come in a little too rested due to the 2 canceled games and recovery efforts from severe flooding, but their field was in playable shape on Tuesday and thanks to the cancellations effect on their record, they are under just as much pressure to come away with a few wins this weekend.

The 'Dores bring in yet another league-leading pitching staff (ERA 3.31 with 135 Ks) with good fielding. If it seems like a Vandy team you've seen before, it's because that's the way they build their team. Conventional Wisdom says that Vandy plays in a pitcher's park and their tendency to give up more runs on the road, even in wins, kinda bears that out. But make no mistake, they are the best staff in the league and we will truly know on Sunday if the Tigers have gotten out of their hitting slump. The only known weakness in their staff is that they only have 1 experienced lefty reliever, but Grayson Garvin's recent success lessens even that advantage. If you have forgotten, below is why they only have one experienced lefty reliever left.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nle8-1K-wTw[/media]
    Our own pitching woes continue (team ERA is all the way up to 6.58) as yet again CPM will make a gametime decision on the Saturday and Sunday starters. Ross' Jekyll-and-Hyde performance on Tuesday did nothing to change his outlook, but I have to believe he is gonna get one of those starts. If Ranaudo can avoid high-winds and being beaned with his own pitches, we should be just fine Friday night. I highly doubt we will ever see Ott start again in a normal situation. However, they will all have to deal with Anthony "Go-Go" Gomez all weekend. He's the best hitter in the league and one of the top freshmen in the country with a .445 BA and only 5 K's in 119 at-bats.

TV is simple this weekend for once, Saturday and Sunday on Cox Sports (Saturday also on Comcast sports in some regions). No TV Friday. Also note that Saturday is another night game. Scuttlebutt around the league is that the SEC will be scheduling more Saturday night games next season due to crowd response this season and I think that's a great idea. Saturdays game is also on the ESPN3.com service where supported.

Weather is hot and cloudy today with a "cool" front passing through sometime saturday, dropping the temps about 10 degrees and bringing a slight chance of rain on Saturday, but it should be done by gametime.

PITCHING MATCHUPS

Game 1-7pm-No TV
    LSU - Jr. RHP Anthony Ranaudo (2-2, 7.01 ERA, 25.2 IP, 12 BB, 26 SO)
    VU - So. RHP Sonny Gray (6-4, 2.22 ERA, 69.0 IP, 31 BB, 72 SO)

Game 2-6pm-Cox, Comcast, ESPN3.com
    LSU - TBA
    VU - So. RHP Jack Armstrong (5-1, 3.83 ERA, 51.2 IP, 22 BB, 33 SO)

Game 3-1pm-Cox
    LSU - TBA
    VU - Jr. RHP Taylor Hill (4-3, 3.38 ERA, 72.0 IP, 17 BB, 50 SO)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXxu7lW7Q4k[/media]

2. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

Hope Renaudo can do something tonight.

3. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

We need this series! here's hoping the boy's Bats will come alive and R's pitching will be spot on!
    :geaux:

4. MikeDTiger

MikeDTiger Geaux Tigers!!!

5. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

it's time to inundate someone... it was good to get a win against SLU, but it surely didn't come easy... an "easy" win is something that this team needs. of course it goes without saying that those are very hard to come by, especially against vandy. but i think we're capable of it.

i think this team has just been snake bitten when it comes to consistency this season... i'm just not sure if they can shake it. oh well, should be a good game.

6. phi1514

phi1514 Founding Member

Score update?

7. tigerfan1974

tigerfan1974 Veteran Member

Not good, 2-0 Vandy, top 2nd

8. alfredeneuman

alfredeneuman Founding Member

Man, that shot on the knee was brutal, but still got the out. Great play.

9. tigerfan1974

3-0 Vandy after 2

10. tigerfan1974

5-0, Ranaudo can't get out of the third. Morman coming in.