"Bama's Bounty?" Will the SEC Suspend Dial?

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by FirstCoastTiger, Dec 3, 2012.

1. FirstCoastTiger

FirstCoastTiger FirstCoastTiger

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/12/sec_alabamas_quinton_dial_shou.html

BIRMINGHAM, Alabama -- Alabama defensive lineman Quinton Dial should have been penalized in the SEC Championship Game for his hit on Georgia quarterback Aaron Murray, SEC coordinator of officials Steve Shaw said today. Whether Dial misses the BCS Championship Game becomes the next question.
    Slive handed down one-game suspensions over consecutive weeks in September to Ole Miss defensive back Trae Elston and South Carolina safety D.J. Swearinger. The SEC ruled they had targeted players on flagrant hits during nonconference games.

There's no doubt in my mind that Dial should be suspended. The only question here is whether or not the SEC front office finally realizes their "brand" is so mainstream now that it can't hide their biased attempts to protect Bama on everything, all the time, anymore...

2. MikeInLa

MikeInLa Founding Member

I watched that play over several times. It was a blatant, dirty hit. And every single time I see something like that in any football game, college or pro, I always wonder why they do it, knowing that it will be seen and scrutinized in replays. I definitely agree that football is a rough game, and anyone who decides to participate knows what they've signed on for. But things like this... man you have to draw a line somewhere.

Richdog likes this.
  3. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Although they should, there's no way the SEC (located in Birmingham, AL) will suspend him. It's the right thing to do, but everyone knows that Bama has the league office in their hip pocket, so don't look for it to happen.

They don't care what anyone else thinks. They'll figure out a way to spin it so that they can keep up appearances.

gyver likes this.
  4. plotalot

plotalot Veteran Member

When no suspension occurs and we mention the boys in B'ham taking care of their favorite son the Gumps will call us crazy.

Richdog likes this.
  5. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

Paranoid, maybe. Delusional, somewhat. Battered person syndrome, perhaps. But crazy, no, I wouldn't say that.

6. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

We'd say the same about you guys, for not acknowledging what everyone else already knows.

7. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

The rest of the SEC is used to it by now. If they didn't suspend the dude for the belly to back suplex against Missouri, they ain't suspending this dude. Especially not when their representative is playing a non conference opponent for the marbles.

KyleK likes this.
  8. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

I remember they blatantly speared Jefferson in the chest with a lowering of the helmet in that game in Tuscaloosa several years ago when Patrick Petersen "didn't" intercept the ball.

There was no call and the ref was looking right at it. "Boys will be boys."

Richdog likes this.
  9. northernvatiger

northernvatiger Founding Member

I remember that one, as well. Seems like we keep coming up with examples of the Bama boys getting away with murder. The fix is always in from HQ in B'ham.

10. FirstCoastTiger

FirstCoastTiger FirstCoastTiger

I posted this last night in the Murray thread but it bears repeating here:
    “"What is the ratio of penalties for Bama vs. opponents?"

SEC Championship Penalties:
    ALA 2-15
    UGA 7-64

For all of 2012:

Bama is 120 out of 124 College Football Teams in America with being penalized.
    120 Alabama 275 147 117 11 72 154 46.8 6 10 60.0 95 818

Facts are indeed stubborn...