Bama game over before it even started (Devin White suspended for first half)

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Oct 20, 2018.

1. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Calls shouldn’t be made because they can be defended by the letter of the law. And when these things are reviewed, “the letter of the law” argument should be thrown out. Spirit of the law is what is important.

There is no video evidence that contact to the helmet was made, and even if it was, it was incidental and negligible.

ParadiseiNC likes this.
  2. tzanghi

tzanghi Founding Member

I think I disagree with that interpretation of the rule. The rule requires “forcible contact”. I argue that there was no conclusive evidence that White even contacted Fitzgerald’s helmet, but even if he did, there was absolutely not force behind the contact. Thus, no forcible contact, and no targeting. Just my interpretation though. The refs clearly seem to be using the interpretation that you have articulated.

3. LSU_4_LIFE

LSU_4_LIFE Founding Member

This is where I’ve been the entire time on the topic. It wasn’t malicious forcible contact to the head or neck. Im not arguing his hand were up high but I’m arguing that it was forcible contact or unnecessary.

4. Guido Merkins

Guido Merkins Founding Member

I knew nothing about the rule honestly until I heard Moscona read it on the air. He said he talked to officials all day long on Monday and all of them said they would have thrown a flag for targeting.

There is a sideline view that shows that the face masks made contact. I agree that it seemed to not be what I'd term "forceable", but I'm not an official.

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

In not an official either but I know forceable when I see it and no matter which angle I see the replay from I don't see forceable.

tirk likes this.
  6. tzanghi

tzanghi Founding Member

What makes the officials any authority on what forcible means? You know just as well as they do.

tirk likes this.
  7. XXL TideFan

XXL TideFan Founding Member

Maybe that's the difference between Napoleonic code verses the Anglo Saxon tendency to knit pick

lsu-i-like likes this.
  8. CalcoTiger

CalcoTiger Live Long and Prosper IVI

If there heads were at same height there facemasks could be together without contact. Then where is the forceable contact.
    It was close enough that many people see it in different ways. Which mean this was no clear cut targeting. It is over now but maybe just maybe they will look and do as some have suggested and have like the NBA a 1 and a 2.level . This rule needs common sense applied to it.

9. Guido Merkins

Guido Merkins Founding Member

Now where that falls on the scale of "Bad call"
    On that we agree....

10. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

nit pick

lsu-i-like, Bengal B and XXL TideFan like this.