Austin Thomas gone home to Tenn

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by lsu-i-like, Dec 13, 2017.

1. didit

didit Veteran Member

Are you heading anything about his plans going forward? LSU's plan to replace him?

2. kcal

kcal Founding Member

Scott Long thinks Thomas has burned his bridges per dandy don this morning

3. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Not crazy about the volatile nature of his career choices lately.

Not looking good for a return:
    http://www.dandydon.com
    From Juan: What do you make about the mess with Austin Thomas?? Is he at UT, did he steer Traore their way? is he coming back? With 3 days to signing day, we do not need any more dust-ups for now.

My Response: Alright, here’s what I’ve gathered after speaking to a source on the LSU side. Thomas was making about $125,000 at LSU with bonuses and contracts that brought his annual income up significantly, but evidently he felt he was under-valued and bolted for Tennessee. Reading between the lines, this had less to do with wanting to return home than I originally thought. Now there are reports that things did not work out for Thomas in Knoxville and he will not be joining the Volunteers’ staff.

As for your question about whether he’s coming back to LSU, let me just say this: My source said that reports of Thomas being a “star recruiter” and a vital component in LSU’s recruiting efforts were grossly exaggerated. In fact, he said he got a good laugh when he read a report that gave Thomas credit for recruiting Leonard Fournette. Bottom line: I wasn’t told this specifically, but I got the impression that Thomas’ bridge to LSU has been burned.

Remember, Thomas left LSU once before and then returned to Baton Rouge after a short stint with USC. I would be surprised to see it happen a second time. As for whether Thomas tried to steer Traore to Tennessee, my source could not confirm that. If, in fact, Thomas won’t be a part of Tennessee’s staff, then I’d like to think any attempt Thomas might have made to recruit for Tennessee would be less effective anyway.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  4. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

LSU trying to cover their ass on the ridiculous antics. Most of what the LSU source said is complete BS. There isn't a single player at LSU that Austin didn't have a major hand in for one. Only thing correct was the very little he was paid at $125k. Bama paying like staff members to do his one role and one of those guys makes over $100k more.

Brian, tirk, TigerTap and 4 others like this.
  5. lsu-i-like

Kinda thought that might be the case, but he’s been antsy the past couple years and now doesn’t have a spot at Tennessee after “amicable differences”? Kinda makes me wonder what’s actually happening on his end.

Also, the timing of his departure sucks. Isn’t this the second time he left at a crucial time for recruiting?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    ROY_LA_CA likes this.
  6. bhelmLSU

USC sold a role and more money to benefit his experience for upward mobility in his future goals. He realized fairly quickly that it was very laid back at USC and nothing like the SEC in terms of organization and intensity. Plus his wife and him love LSU so O made a push to get him back here after discovering Austin's talents were being wasted.

Tennessee is obviously going through a big transition right now. Austin was stuck in the middle of the open-ended staffing issues there are having internally. I heard Fulmer promised him one thing but Pruitt put his foot down and said he doesn't want him dealing with any administrative stuff because it would be too much for him to have all those roles like he has had here for years. I assume Pruitt is pushing back as much as he can on the staffing guidelines Fulmer put on him. Austin is not one of Pruitts guys and likely feels he would rather have someone he knows dealing with the coaching and recruiting and not a crossover position. A little tit for tat and something I would expect a brand new AD and brand new Coach to have to deal with.

TigerTap, ROY_LA_CA and watson1880 like this.
  7. lsu-i-like

I could see Fulmer wanting to involve himself in the football program more than he should and Pruitt wisely saying no.

TigerTap likes this.
  8. bhelmLSU

They both have to answer for the success and failures so it is understandable. Alleva knows it is on him here so that is what you we keep hearing him going outside of his role and implanting himself into the middle of everything.

Brian and ROY_LA_CA like this.
  9. didit

didit Veteran Member

So, knowing how O feels about him and his feelings for LSU, what do you hear as his chances for a return? Or has that ship sailed?

10. lsu-i-like

You’d think Alleva would figure a way to keep him if AT is so clearly a badass. Interested to see how this plays out and don’t understand why TAF isn’t bridging the gap.

TigerTap and didit like this.