Atlanta Police Chief Resigns

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by APPTiger, Jun 13, 2020.

1. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

There are roughly 680,000 law enforcement officers in the US who did not kill anyone last night. I offer that just in case there's anyone around who really thinks there's a systemic problem with cops killing black people.

APPTiger, HalloweenRun and Perple like this.
  2. Perple

Perple Founding Member

I don't know much about Keisha Bottoms, but her "Let's hang these white boyz in the Po Po, wit no investigation or trial" attitude is extremely dangerous & racist imo.

unclenick, Bengal B and APPTiger like this.
  3. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

What is wrong with that freaking cop in Atlanta? Why shoot someone running away? Yes we don't defund or dismantle police forces but there are some bad and stupid or under trained cops out there. The shooting I don't think was racial but totally unwarranted. Part of the problem is that there is a screwed up mentality out there that it's OK to resist arrest. Cops have to make split second decisions such as if the thug is trying to physically harm the cop or in the Ferguson case trying to take the cops gun. I understand that. However if a suspect is running away why shoot him in the back?

el005639, HalloweenRun and Winston1 like this.
  4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I read yesterday that the Atlanta mayor was one of those Biden was considering for veep. May God have mercy on our souls

5. mctiger

The problem with the LEO community is not that blacks are disproportionately killed; they're not. The problem is that, when a cop kills a civilian, there is rarely any meaningful disciplinary actions. I think the percentage is below 5 percent convicted on a criminal charge, and the charge of murder virtually never sticks, when its made at all. This is true regardless of the race of the victim. Cops rarely rat each other out either. All of that tends to facilitate distrust in LEO by the public. And truth is, I understand that a lot of this stems from police wanting to protect that trust. They know better than anyone that when one cop goes rogue, they all suffer in the eyes of the public. A happy medium has to be found where cops can meaningfully discipline their own when necessary, and in a transparent fashion so that it doesn't appear to the public that the good cops are covering up for the bad.

6. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Well said Kiki. Excellent points

7. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

Glad we found some common ground.

mancha and Winston1 like this.
  8. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

9. mctiger

Have you seen the second video of the shooting? Not the shaky handheld one, in which the shooting actually takes place off camera. There's a second angle, a parking lot security cam, that clearly shows the guy turn and point the taser he had just taken at the cop the second before he is shot. A taser renders its victim momentarily helpless. Justified shooting.

Dude was dead to rights on a DWI. Now he's just dead, because he would rather fight two cops than sleep it off in a drunk tank and pay a fine.

10. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

I feel you MC and believe me I am on the side of cops. Had a brother and sister that were NOLA cops for a long time one spending 15 years and one retiring as a NOLA cop. I also agree if he point a taser at a cop he is subject to being shot. However if he turns and runs don't shoot the SOB. You have his car so you can find the guy later and arrest him.