At Home Tailgate Party

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by Lovin' Mazdy, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Lovin' Mazdy

Lovin' Mazdy Freshman

Hello to all of you Tiger Fans - Duck fan here. I'm planning an at home "Tailgate" party for our regular group for the LSU / Oregon game. We always try to honor our opponent by having food from the region. Can you give me some ideas, outside of the standard jambalaya? I'm also looking for a great cocktail idea too. This is all in good fun and I'm not looking for any rants, just good food ideas. Recipes are welcome.
    Thanks so much. Go Ducks! or in the spirit of LSU - Geaux Ducks!

1 person likes this.
  2. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Very cool idea. Lots of great food here - we even have a resident chef, stevescookin who will be glad to help I'm sure.

How many people? Inside or outside? Eat all at once, or snack for the whole game?

3. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

That sounds like a fun idea and could also be used as an educational tool for kids. I know I grew up thinking everyone ate gumbo and had never heard the term, Carne Asada til well after high school.

Tell you what Mazdy, since Oregon's cheerleaders are so hot, if you decide to go with gumbo I'll mail you a jar of roux. It's a main ingredient in it.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Do jambalaya for sure. But it doesn't have to be the standard chicken and sausage type. Try a good shrimp and ham jambalaya some time.

Fried meat pies, both crawfish and beef varieties are very popular. You can order them online frozen if you don't want to make them from scratch. In fact you can get a wide variety of Cajun smoked meats, stuffed bell peppers, stuffed pork chops and such online. Try Bergerons.

Be sure and order some good Louisiana smoked sausage, andouille, and boudin to throw on the grill and use in your dishes. Some Zataran's cajun mustard for dip.

If you can get some fresh New Orleans style french bread, there is nothing like a fried shrimp Po-boys for tailgating--especially if you are at home and deep-frying is easier.

5. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

I can't tell you how many times I have cooked pork or pork and chicken jambalaya at out of state festivals where the patrons have said "that's the best thing I've ever put in my mouth". We are so used to good food here that we look for variations to keep us interested. For someone who has not had it, a pork and chicken jambalaya will make them a lover of all things cajun.

6. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

i recommend duck and sausage gumbo.

7. Lovin' Mazdy

Lovin' Mazdy Freshman

Thanks so much for the reply. Local time at kick-off will be 5:00 PM, so I'm thinking appertizers and cocktails for the first half, serve yourself dinner at half-time and dessert during the second half. There will be 10 adults and 2 kids. I'd like to do as little as possible in the way of preparation once the game starts. I look forward to your ideas.

8. Lovin' Mazdy

Lovin' Mazdy Freshman

Hey OkieTigerTK - this is all in good fun. I've heard enough "roasted duck, duck soup and duck entree" comments to last a life time. The Michigan fans thought they were so funny with the Duck food comments, and we all know how that turned out.

And to everyone - if LSU ever plays in Eugene (there are rumors), you're all invited to our tailgate party. We love visitors, especially from the South. I know the football success is not comparable, but the Mississippi State fans were great.

9. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Do this Pastalaya.............

Cajun Entree Recipes

Its a recipe that my good friend Chef Jeff has, can't miss. Any leftovers, put in a Zip-lock bag and freeze. You can take out later, just microwave. One of the better you'll ever cook. An easy can't miss recipe.

Enjoy.........:tigereye:

Oh, you can substitute Duck for the Chicken......:thumb:

10. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

yes, it is.

we have a tradition. whenever possible, eat the other teams mascot. duck something for the oregon game, pork for arky, gator for florida, etc.

as you say, its all in good fun.