Astros making their run?

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by islstl, Sep 24, 2006.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Luckily Roy-O pitches tomorrow....almost every time the Astros bullpen is depleted from the game or 2 before, he pitches lights out and either goes 8 innings or a complete game. Lord knows we need another effort like that.

2. islstl

Astros just need to win tonite and keep up the pressure...the next manager can't be half as stupid as Bochy

Plus the game tomorrow is at 11:30 AM, so the Astros can post a W and get it down to 1 game and really put the pressure on the Cards going into their game tomorrow nite.

Overall, I would say no change in the standings is ok by me. Astros kinda lucked into a chance to win this one anyway.

Pujols will win MVP with that one swing of the bat. Plus the Phils are choking as usual down the stretch.

3. islstl

Don't forget, Clemens in the 19th, will get the W....then he wins his start on Friday and that gets him to 350 wins and he retires (after winning the world series of course).

It's his day to throw on the side, so not unusual for a starter to throw an inning on a day like this.

4. islstl

Ryan Howard gettin some Barry Bonds kinda love....intentionally walked with 2 outs and a man on 1st in a tie game in the 13th.

And Jeff Conine promptly strikes out to end the side.

See Bruce Bochy, it aint really that hard.

5. islstl

Astros win 7-6 in 15

Clemens didnt have to pitch afterall.

Oswalt to dominate tomorrow and post an early W.

Astros will still win division. Cardinals suck. Milwaukee will walk Pujols a record 19 times in the 4 game series. Book it.

6. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

I need some help from one of you baseball experts.

Looking at the standings, games played, and games remaining, I'm confused.

The Stros have played 158 games and have 4 games remaining.

The Cards have played 157 games and everything I have looked at shows they have 4 games remaining.

The Cards must have had a rainout earlier. Don't they have to play that game so both teams finish the regular season with 162 games?

I've searched for an answer, but no luck.

Thanks in advance for any clarification.

7. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

The Cards have a makeup home game with the Giants on Monday, but it won't be played if the Cards win the division before then.

8. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

9. islstl

Trust me, they WILL have to play this game.

10. islstl

Interestingly, a rainout today in Pitt would help the Stros as they can line up Oswalt, Clemens and Pettitte vs a pretty potent Braves lineup (especially at home). Chris Sampson would then pitch the makeup game in Pittsburgh on Monday. Sampson pitched 6 1/3 scoreless innings in his 2 outings vs Philly and Pitt in the last 3 days, and was a big factor in helping the Astros win both those games. Ole Boy might be setting himself up to be the 4th pitcher in the rotation come playoff time, if the Astros do indeed pull off this miracle.

Clemens would be on 5 days rest (extra day) which would help him since he pitched on 3 days rest last Sunday.

Oswalt would have to pitch the Cardinal game on Tuesday on 3 days rest however. But it would be at home, where he has excelled. And he would also haved pitched on 5 days rest in Atlanta, so that should help him recover better for the Cardinal start.