As seen on You Tube

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by APPTiger, Feb 23, 2022.

1. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Would like to know what he did to earn the Silver Star. What makes it even more interesting is that he got the "V" with it (even more extraordinary valor than just an SS, though not to the standards of a Navy Cross), but pulled off whatever it was he did without getting wounded, otherwise there'd be a Purple Heart in that second row.

2. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Yeah that is why I was puzzled by the lack of a CAR. The Marine Corps, especially back in that day did not hand out Silver Stars for willy nilly shit. The Army hands out awards like candy, "what, you got your boots on the right feet, Great job, here is an Army Achievement Medal" I mean seriously damn near that easy. I think if he gives his name I we can probably dive into his story and try to find out but it just seems off that there is no CAR.

mctiger likes this.
  3. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Okay so some investigative reporting, The Combat Action Ribbon wasn't a thing until '69 so that is probably the most logical explanation. The other is it isn't awarded to aviators. I think he had stripes on so that would take him out of being a pilot as enlisted don't get to fly things for good reason

HalloweenRun and mctiger like this.
  4. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

In WWII, the US was the only major combatant that commissioned its pilots; English, Japanese and German pilots were enlisted men. That said, the Marine Corps did have "Flying Sergeants," but the fellow in the video is not wearing wings, so, not a pilot.

edit: The Corps phased out "Flying Sergeants" as the war progressed. Many were directly commissioned, though some retained flight status as sergeants.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2022
    shane0911 likes this.
  5. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Make sense because they don't give out silver stars to paper pushers. You can just tell the way he was crying over the death of his friends that he's seen some shit.

shane0911 likes this.
  6. XXL TideFan

XXL TideFan Founding Member

Yeager started as an enlisted pilot I think. May be wrong.

7. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

i respect the old guy, but the country is not that bad off. biden is stupid and people are pretty woke, but we will be ok. old fella needs to turn off fox news and hang out with his grandkids

8. XXL TideFan

XXL TideFan Founding Member

Comparatively in his lifetime it is. In my lifetime I have gone from living where people didn’t even close their doors much less lock them to a zoo mentality, except the animals are on the loose and decent people have to cage themselves in for survival.

9. APPTiger

APPTiger still unable to post Geaux Tigers!

Not to mention boys competing in girls sports, et al.....

10. APPTiger

APPTiger still unable to post Geaux Tigers!