Art Cantrelle-RB (1968-1971)??

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Cajun Sensation, Dec 12, 2008.

1. wmarcg

wmarcg Founding Member

Re: Arthur Cantrelle-RB (1968-1971)??

Correct.

2. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

LSU was 9-1 in 1969, only loss was to Ole Miss and Archie Manning in his Jr. season. (I looked this up, my memory on the exact year has blurred a bit after almost 40 years). OM won in 68 and 69 with Archie heroics. The LSU D was tops in the nation, giving up only 38 yards per game rushing over the 10 games. See article here: Good Article

Texas was ranked #1 and was the top rushing team with the wishbone. LSU had the top rushing D and people in La. were anxious to see the game. LSU was NOT officially invited to the 1970 cotton bowl. We were in the period prior to the bowl invites going out. Rumor had it LSU would be invited to play Tx. ND had never accepted a bowl bid in its history. They changed their policy to make money for the program, as was their prerogative, and the question was which major bowl would invite them, and the cotton decided it was a marquis matchup and they invited ND instead of LSU. LSU was invited by a minor bowl, (maybe the Peach), but I think the team voted not to play a bowl game (doubt the administration would handle it that way now). LSU did not play a bowl, and ended the season ranked #13 in the UPI poll, see here: MASH HERE.

It was a disastrous end to an otherwise GREAT season for the Tigers, the most disappointing season end that I can recall.

Edited: Just found another list of UPI poll showing LSU finished the season #7. I think that is correct, the link above showing LSU #13 must be wrong. See link: AFCA.COM data

There seemed to be a sportswriters bias against teams from the south whose name was not Texas or Alabama. At least that's the way it felt. For all the BCS problems, it has been a VAST IMPROVEMENT over simply voting. Now that SEC teams have an opportunity to get on the field with the media darlings, more championships have flowed our way, and for that I am thankful.

1 person likes this.
  3. gxtigs1

gxtigs1 Freshman

The man could crush your hand with a hand shake. Went to High School with him down in bayou Lafourche before he went to Biloxi and the first time I shook hands with him, he brought tears to my eyes and it was just a friendly hand shake.

1 person likes this.
  4. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Small world homey. My boys were the ones who brought Art down there. We're all meeting up again this Sunday to watch the late games. C'mon down if you can.

5. lagniappe429

lagniappe429 Freshman

i called cholly mac about art c. after he beat the s..t out of one of my friends in 71. i watched the n.d. game at lackland air force base and won 25 dollars on the game, the o club was full of yanks from the north east. by the way my friend was 6 '4' 240 and still took an ass whipping. i watched manning beat lsu in jackson almost by himself in 69 and threw oranges at him in tiger statium in 70 when we beat their ass. football was great then as it is now and the tigers were tuff as nails. I road to the last game bear coached against lsu in birmingham with 5 alabama fans. we beat the bear in his house and it was a very quite ride back to shreveport after the game. It was a great time to be a tiger fan and a hell of a time be in school in baton rouge. my daughter is at lsu now and i dont think she is having as much fun as we had then and i really hope she doesnt. everyone is right about art he was the real deal if you were looking for a bar fight he was the wrong one to start it with. he and three or four of his friends went across the river and started some s..t with some dockworkers in a port allen bar and got folded up dumped in the parking lot after they got their asses whipped.

1 person likes this.
  6. fanatic

Odds are really long on fights that are 25-30 people against 5.

7. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

Are you saying Art and his boys got their asses whipped?

8. fanatic

I think that's what he was implying, but if that's true, the dockworkers probably outnumbered them, resulting in an unfair fight.

1 person likes this.
  9. luvdimtigers

luvdimtigers Founding Member

you should always know how to count before engaging in a bar fight with locals.

10. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

From what I understand, Art Cantrelle didn't give a damn about how many there were. He would clean house first, ask questions later.