Art Cantrelle-RB (1968-1971)??

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Cajun Sensation, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

Re: Arthur Cantrelle-RB (1968-1971)??

I didn't realize that he was known as "Art". I googled that and everything that I've read basically says that should he have decided to fight me, that he would have knocked me the eff out, pissed in my ear, bit my testicles off and spit them in my face before walking off and kicking someone else's ass.

.....something told me to let it go. Thank God I did.

2. KerryS

KerryS Founding Member

My brother played on the same Tiger teams as Cantrelle. You definitely wouldn't want to mess with him. I know he spent time in La. Training Institute or maybe the one in Miss.

3. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

2 people like this.
  4. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

I would have recalled him a little earlier, maybe 66 - 68, will look up. I only heard one story about him beating up a cop in a bar while at LSU, but still playing. I remember him as one of the top tailbacks after the Cannon / Stovall era. The top guys I remember were Art Cantrelle, Tommy (Trigger) Allen, and Brad Davis. Man, those were some guys that could get you 1 yard on 3rd and 1. Trigger Allen was not as much a power back as the other 2, he was more a finese runner, but when he broke one, it went for 20 yards in a hurry. I don't remember any of them making it in the NFL, which surprised me.

Then there was Eddie Ray, a big RB, like 250, and he could pound it and he was fast enough to get you 20 yds. also. He played for the Falcons for a long time.

5. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Ray was a beast. Those were the good ole days of Tiger football, when my blood turned purple and gold.

6. Lprimo

Lprimo Pimpin Aint Easy

awe, you coulda took him Cajun...just offer to buy him a Pitcher of beer, and wack him over the head with the pitcher...make sure its Coors Light....wouldnt wanna waste good beer.

7. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

Hell yes. Art Cantrell. He got into a little trouble while on the team. A couple of fights. In one he threw a cop across a room. Great RB though.

8. CajunPunk

CajunPunk TF's Resident Realist

It's an edition from 2002, but this free online book, Greatest Moments in LSU Football History, has lots of great pictures from the 30s-2002. Pretty cool.

A lot of you may already have it. I don't.

You can search the book for words, and I found a lot of stuff in there for Art Cantrelle.

I saw there was a game where LSU stomped Ole Miss 61-17. I bet that's the last time LSU ever scored that much.

http://books.google.com/books?id=-43SPTBE2hwC&printsec=frontcover&dq=

Anyway, thought you guys may enjoy it.

1 person likes this.
  9. wmarcg

wmarcg Founding Member

That was Archie Manning's senior year and he played that game with a cast on his left arm. Was a great game for tiger fans that had to live thru the previous two years with Archie.

10. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

Hey Sabanfan, speaking of the good ole days, do you remember the 77-0 whuppin we dished out in tiger stadium? I can't remember if it was Oregon or Oregon State. I do remember Carlos Carson caught only 5 passes that night ALL for touchdowns and most of them for over 50 yards. It was very cold or rainy if I remember right, and most people left early because they were bored. I stayed till the bitter end and didn't want to leave.

In order to relate this post to Art Cantrelle, another tough duo at that time was Tommy Cassanova and George Bevan. You youngsters can google all you want, but you should have seen them play! They shamed this year's D too.