Art Cantrelle-RB (1968-1971)??

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Cajun Sensation, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

OK, so I'm at the local watering hole in Ocean Springs, MS drinking some beers with my friends watching the Saints game. There was a table full of older fellas right next to us. Suddenly one of the older guys JUMPS up answers his phone and starts to speed walk somewhere a little more private for his all-important phone call. When he did this, he spilled every beer on my table onto my lap and some of my buddy's laps that were sitting at my table. He didn't say that he was sorry or anything so my buddy called him out. The dude got in my friends face, I stepped in and broke it up and so did this man, Arthur Cantrelle. He (Arthur) shook my hand (and almost broke it) and asked what I was drinking and bought me a beer while our friends continued to jaw at each other. I noticed a large LSU ring on Arthur's finger and he said that he played tailback at LSU from 68-71 or somewhere in there.

As Arthur and I sat and had a few beers and talked, a couple of old timers that I know from Biloxi would walk up to me and make sure that I wasn't pissing this guy off. I assured them that I wasn't and they assured me that this guy would rip my head off and sh*t down my neck if I pissed him off. I found it kinda hard to believe b/c he was older and he was a really nice guy. Well, after 4 or 5 old timers warned me not to mess with this guy, I found out that he knows my aunt very well. Arthur used to know her back in the day and had a very big crush on her, apparently. Well, I told my aunt about him this morning and she told me what an animal this guy was (she also said that he was a good dude). She said that he used to beat people up immercifully and beyond recognition for fun. Apparently this guy is REALLY tough, and a raging psycho.....but he seemed like a great guy and I really enjoyed talking to him for about an hour.

Do any of you know about Arthur Cantrelle? I looked him up on the internet and couldn't really find much. I imagine that ring on his finger was an SEC championship ring. Was he a good tailback? Was/is he as tough as I was being told? Do any of you have any stories about Arthur Cantrelle?

Discuss.

2. orlandotiger

orlandotiger GEAUX TIGERS!

Re: Arthur Cantrelle-RB (1968-1971)??

Guess they knew ya, huh? :D

Just your type of guy!!! :hihi:

I know nothing about the guy but couldn't let those just pass...

3. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

Google this to get a little info:

"Arthur Cantrelle" lsu

also,

"Arthur Cantrell" lsu

4. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

My guess is he is someone you choose not to call a pickle kisser. :hihi:

That said I looked into him and the best thing I could find was a quote from his lawyer; "Arthur has never and shall never lose a bar fight". Lucky You!

John will be right in with his entire bio. :wink:

5. LSUtiger327

LSUtiger327 Pow right in da kissa

someone was just talking about him on buddy songy's show (or maybe it was condon) the other day.

basically said if you could take one guy in LSU football history to get your back in a fight, who would it be??

the answer was art cantrell.

that's funny b/c that was the first time i've ever heard of him and then you tell your story.

from all accounts, you made the wise move by making peace. glad you and your buddies are still around to tell the tale b/c it sounds like you unknowingly shook hands with a grizzly bear.

6. DJM136

DJM136 fubar 24/7

My older sisters were at LSU back then, I was a middle schooler. I remember many times hearing about Art Cantrelle, bars, fights, police, coverups. He was a good but tough guy before the days of cell phone cameras and internet.

7. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

:rofl:

8. khounba

khounba Founding Member

Could you imagine the threads if this guy played today. He would have been out before he played a snap from what it sounds.

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Art Cantrelle was a notorious bar fighter while a running back at LSU (fullback I think). He can definitely rip off your arm and beat you to death with it.

10. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

I was at LSU during his playing days. Shortly afterwards, I used to help cook at Frenchie's restaurant in Ocean Springs to help out my LSU room mate who's family had recently bought that restaurant. After closing and breaking down the kitchen we'd go out to the bars and stay out all night. I used to hear Art Cantrelle stories and sometimes was in the same bar with him. I never saw him get in a fight, but I can tell you that he was (and still is) a legend. As far as toughness on the field he was unsurpassed. Ask any Ole Miss defender who ever tackled him how tough they thought he was to bring down. His play was admirable. He really didn't know how to quit. It took more than one to stop him for sure. I mean to tell you he makes Jacob Hester look like a boy scout; and he makes this years LSU players look like cub scouts. I hope coach Miles brings in defensive coaching with his demeanor and attitude. There would be no lack of discipline and individualism like we saw this year- That's for sure.

Oh, and by the way, those "old timers" were right. You are very lucky you didn't tick him off. I'm glad to hear you speak so highly of his character.