Arizona Bills Require Constitution Loyalty Oath, Pledge Of Allegiance By Public School Students

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LSUMASTERMIND, Jan 29, 2013.

1. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

This should get Martin up and running this morning.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/28/arizona-bills-require-con_n_2568131.html

Two Arizona lawmakers are stirring Constitutional debate and threats of legal action after introducing bills that would require the state's students to express love of country under God.
    House Bill 2467, sponsored by Republican state Rep. Bob Thorpe, would require all public high school seniors to take an oath to "support and defend" the U.S. Constitution and proclaim, "so help me god." A second proposal, House Bill 2284sponsored by Republican state Rep. Steve Smith, would require all public 1-12 students to recite the Pledge of Allegiance. The oath, as proposed by Thorpe, reads:
    I, _______, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge these duties; So help me God.

2. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

I read this on huffingtonpost this morning also. To me, this goes hand in hand with the education system in Texas requiring that creationism be taught, etc. It should be considered child abuse to teach a child something that isn't the truth under the auspices of getting an "education." Constitutionally this will never hold up.

Sooner or later, we need to get realistic about what organized religion is trying to do to our country: turn it into a theocratic state where they get to tell everyone else that they must live their lives in the same shell of stupidity that the rest of the religious community resides in.

I consider myself a person of faith but I absolutely deplore religion and consider it the largest cancer on our society right now. All of the bad that is done in the name of God is cleverly hidden behind the few, small good things that come from religion. That said, even a turd produces methane gas.

This notion that religion is under assault in this country is bull shit, plain and simple. When is last time you were questioned about where you worshipped? When is the last time you were forced to worship in a way that you believe is unacceptable? This is a contrived issue that doesn't exist. The truth is that Christians want to limit the religious freedoms of everyone else in this country out of fear; fear of Muslims and the non-exitant sharia law overtaking the country, fear of a society that isn't dominated by white males, fear of truth substituting the myths that man has been basing morality off of for the past several thousand years.

3. martin

martin Banned Forever

Some crazy person somewhere is always introducing a bill of no consequence.

Also tiger in nc considers himself a person of faith. That is very stupid.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Check out the letter to the editor in today's Advocate. Not one damn thing mentioned about God in the headline. But the religious right has now appropriated the word "almighty" and object to its use in any other context than religious. They are literally making up crap to object to.

Editor:​

You approved the use of the term “Zach Almighty” as the headline on the front page of the Sports section on Dec. 30. Many in our heavily Christian community recognize the term “God Almighty” as one of the names that the God of the Bible used for himself (Genesis 17:1).​

In the third of his famous Ten Commandments, the Lord God commanded believers not take his name in vain (Exodus 20:7). In context, that means that those who revere God are not to use his name, or even allude to his name, in any way that fails to reflect the reverence that the creator, the almighty ruler and the ultimate judge of all living beings deserves.​

Granted, many in our area have no problem with your headline. Did the Almighty? Well, does he, for man’s sake, work providentially to encourage people to revere him for both his omnipotence and his amazing grace? If so, could it be that the conspicuous failure of the quarterback to show himself mighty the next evening is deserving of sober reflection? Did you ask the young man if he welcomes such terminology as you used?​

Why not have your sportswriters use their creativity within the parameters that show due respect for your many readers who revere the Almighty One?​

Harvey Newton​

Christian educator​

Baton Rouge​

Tiger in NC likes this.
  5. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

Religious people are kooks. To give GOD any human qualities = fail.

Tiger in NC likes this.
  6. Tiger in NC

to believe in a supreme being is not stupid. assigning human qualities to this entity is stupid. believing that this supreme being involves itself in the every day affairs of humans is stupid. believing that there is something beyond our comprehension that is the driving force of the universe/multiverse, etc. is theoretical, not stupid.

red55 likes this.
  7. martin

martin Banned Forever

Sorry dude. Stupid. Can't help ya

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

He's right.

9. Tiger in NC

whatever

10. martin

martin Banned Forever

Evidence?