Arik Gilbert in portal again...remember him?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CagedTiger, Dec 21, 2022.

1. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Noted

I drink a lot so the memory gets fuzzy at times. The bottom line is Cecil never went into a "downward spiral" on the field. The kid ran as hard and as fast as he could every single play.

Not the same with Gilbert who has the same opportunity.

Their downfalls are not the same. The trajectory may align but the reasons do not.

2. CagedTiger

CagedTiger Freshman

In terms of upside, I think Cecil and Gilbert both had unlimited potential and both would have gone down as two of the greatest players in LSU and SEC history had they stayed on the right path. IMO, those two were "once in a lifetime" type players, and based strictly on talent, I would take Cecil over LF and Gilbert over Bowers from Georgia. I know most won't agree, but Cecil and Gilbert's talent levels were off the charts! Now off the field, I wouldn't touch either one with a 10-foot pole!

3. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Has Gilbert been in trouble? Don't think so

4. Hou-duco

Hou-duco Founding Member

Bowers is an all-around TE. Gilbert is a wannabe WR in a TE’s body. Bowers like our own Mason Taylor, is willing to do the dirty work (blocking).

shane0911 likes this.
  5. CagedTiger

CagedTiger Freshman

I totally agree with what you said. Bowers is an absolute monster and is going to be a beast in the NFL simply because of his hunger to be the best. I still think Gilbert has more upside with his size, speed and hands, but he doesn't have the intangibles and that's what separates the good players from the great players.

6. DeeDee

DeeDee Veteran Member

Russell Shepard

7. CagedTiger

CagedTiger Freshman

Shepard came in all-world, but could never find the field on a consistent basis. Clearly, he had talent, so I have often wondered what was the real story with him. He made it to the NFL and I believed stayed a little while. Players like Shepard and Gilbert just make you wonder how a "can't miss" player with all the talent in the world can fall so quickly.