Arik Gilbert in portal again...remember him?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CagedTiger, Dec 21, 2022.

1. CagedTiger

CagedTiger Freshman

It's amazing how quickly someone can go from the penthouse to the outhouse in college football! It was just a few years ago Gilbert was the toast of college football and was destined to be a top-5 pick in NFL in a couple of years. He was described as a freak athlete that came along once in a lifetime. He was big, strong, fast, had great hands and was uncoverable by any LB. Wow...how times have changed!

After leaving LSU for Georgia, it appears he's now searching for another team to play for. Gilbert joined the portal today, but how much value does he have at this point? Some are saying he's a prima donna that doesn't work hard, while many others state that he suffers from mental illness, and if that's the case, I wish him the best in his journey, both in life and in his football career.

Regardless of where he lands, it's clear this young man has a long road ahead. I can't remember another college athlete in the past 30 years that has fallen from grace so quickly. As an LSU fan, it makes you wonder what kind of career he might have had if he only stuck around.

If there's one thing we all can take away from this sad situation, it's that we should always make the best of today because tomorrow is not guaranteed!

LSUTiga and BornOnTheBayou like this.
  2. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Considering the way CBK uses Mason Taylor, he could have been an amazing fit in this year's offense.

Herb likes this.
  3. Hou-duco

Hou-duco Founding Member

Does Cecil the diesel Collins jar any memories.

4. Hou-duco

Hou-duco Founding Member

Gilbert didn’t like to block. H’d be riding the pines o a CBK coached team.

5. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

I don't know that I'd use that comparison. Cecil was always one helluva back. His career was only derailed by his fetish for sniffing panties and B&E and the like.

6. CagedTiger

CagedTiger Freshman

I have been saying for years that Cecil would have been one of the greatest players to ever play at LSU, if he wasn't so stupid! Every time he touched the ball you knew there was a chance he could take it all the way or he was going to punish whatever defender that tried to stop him.

shane0911 likes this.
  7. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

#neverheardofher

8. Hou-duco

Hou-duco Founding Member

CagedTiger noted how fast Gilbert fell from being a coveted player with no ceiling on his upside to seemingly not fitting in with any team. Cecil Collins for his short while @ LSU had similar potential. His downward spiral was rapid until with the pervert winding up in jail.

9. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Maybe we remember it differently, I don't ever remember Cecil sitting the bench. I remember us going "can't wait to see this guy with the ball" to "oh shit, he's in jail" in one off season.

10. Hou-duco

Hou-duco Founding Member

I never said he sat he bench. He broke his leg mid season. The breaking & entering started shortly after and he was gone at the end of the semester. I would call that a rapid downward spiral.

shane0911 likes this.