Are you mad because Romney is rich?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Rex_B, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

If Romney releases his tax returns it will show that he has indeed followed the law but it will also verify what the Democrats have been screaming: that the tax code is slanted toward the rich. This would be solidify their argument and the perfect example would be the Republican candidate for President.

Harry Reid is probably lying about his "source," but he has put Romney in the tough position of either releasing his tax returns or risking that his surrogates are going to get tired of explaining why he will not release them.

2. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

Of course he follows IRS laws. I probably make a tenth of a percent of what he does and the IRS is still up my ass. He's not releasing them because he probably has carried interest issues and all of his other income is ltcg and dividends. He probably pays 15% in taxes and will get demolished when that comes out. The only really bad issue in there would be a large income from Bain which he says he left in the early 2000's.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Rumor is that he paid zero taxes in more than one year when he made 7 or 8 figures. I can see why he will do everything possible to hide that. But sooner or later, it will come out.

Offshore tax havens and other tax dodges unavailable to the middle class will go over like a lead balloon.

4. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

meanwhile, republicans cant be enamored with the guy, i mean Jeb Bush is a better candidate. In a year where Obama should getting trampled in the polls due to the unemployment rate (fault or no fault of his own) Romney cant seem to really separate himself.

5. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

If that is proven to be the case before the election, he will lose in a landslide. I can't imagine that is true and if it is, would you even be able to tell from the tax returns? What I mean is, if the income is not taxable by the IRS, would it even be on there?

6. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

I read somewhere that the losses that the ultra-rich experienced during the financial crisis of 2009 were so deep that, coupled with tax shelters and offshore accounts, that it is plausible that he (and many others who experienced deep losses at that time) paid zero taxes.

Funny thing is, all of the Republicans are calling bullshit on that. All of them, that is, except for John McCain who's actually SEEN Romney's tax returns when he vetted Mitt for VP.

red55 likes this.
  7. LSUMASTERMIND

yes cause he still has to report it. Form TD F 90-22.1

8. LSUMASTERMIND

lol McCain is holding the ball, so he might be the keynote for the convention..lol

9. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

So people are mad because he follows the law?

Yah that makes sense.

gyver likes this.
  10. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

lol That's the point.

They aren't mad because he follows the law. They are mad that the law allows someone who makes tens of millions of dollars annually to pay little to no taxes.

Either way he falls right into palm of the Obama Campaign.