Are we in a hole in regards to QB recruiting?

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by HalloweenRun, Dec 29, 2014.

1. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

How many times does this have to be addressed? I've offered my opinion on this already.....we're not recruiting the right types of QBs for our offense.

2. TigerBacker70

TigerBacker70 I'm the Cock of the Walk!

Sorry, I must have missed it. So if I understand you correctly, you're asserting that they are indeed good or great QB recruits, but guys who won't excel in the offense played at LSU? Is that it? If so, then why are they being recruited to play football at LSU in the current offense, were are the recruits who will be fantastic in this offense, and why isn't the recruiting staff pursuing those type of players instead of ones who will do poorly? Serious questions. I know that our coaching philosophy isn't flexible enough to maximize offensive production by being flexible enough to best utilize the available talent. That whole square peg/round hole thing isn't likely to change for the foreseeable future. So why not recruit guys who can hand the ball off 70% of the time and throw completions on more than 50% of the 10-15 pass attempts that they will be allowed in each game? Are those guys rare?

3. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Not quite. Mobius responded contrary to what I said. He didn't quote me but we're discussing points of view and it was clear his was opposite mine. YOU then posted agreeing with Mobius, YOUR WORDS, which is, in turn, contrary to my viewpoint. In turn, I responded. Follow next time.

4. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

I think it goes deeper then just that. That conclusion might hold water if we played a QB that could actually throw, but AJ can't hit air. He over throws everyone, he holds the ball too long, and he can't find his 2nd, 3rd, or even his 4th receiver. He zeros in on one and if the dude ain't open it's a wrap.

At least Harris has legs, a bigger arm, and is more accurate, and what does our coaching staff do? Continue to place the deer in headlights out on the field. At least had Harris got more playing time, we might have seen some progression at the position, instead we see regression. Either our offensive coaches can't evaluate QB talent, or they can not develop said talent. At least on the defensive side of the ball we saw a squad get better... on offense, minus the running game, we saw nothing but regression with AJ.

I think Cam is clueless. I think Miles is clueless. What have you seen that tells you the offense will get better?

tirk and Bengal B like this.
  5. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

I don't know what to tell you....there were numerous threads in here at the beginning of the year on who should be QBing, and I was pulling for Harris. After he shit the bed at Auburn and got yanked, I predicted we wouldn't see him again barring an injury. I didn't like it, I was just predicting our future. I can't tell you what this staff looks for when they recruit QB's; I thought they had it when they signed Rettig, and again with Harris. But I'm not at the practices, and I've never been in the QB meeting room, so I can't tell you what Miles/Cam are seeing and evaluating. I'll grant you this...I don't see anything that indicates Jennings will get any better. Mett was something of a hot mess early in 2012, but he was clearly a better QB by the end of the season and then the roof came off in '13. Jennings appeared to be the same QB against ND that played Wisconsin in September.

Edit: Regarding the Cam/Miles are clueless comments. I don't believe for a second Cam is clueless. I wouldn't say Miles is clueless either, but handling QBs is clearly not one of his strengths. I am not optimistic about the development of Jennings into a good college QB, but that is more a judgement of his abilities, not the coaching.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  6. msully

msully Founding Member

After HS that player should not need much teaching . he should be at the level that he needs to learn the system . I am having bad thoughts here if he can only learn 5 or 6 plays and remember them . We have a problem , and we have a problem at QB .
    We have had two mangers at QB , well 3 , two gave us what , of course they had players around them hung around for 4 years . That helped a lot . I would like to see a QB if we are going to keep the offense we have that can run and off the run pass . Well enough that a receiver has a chance of catching the pass . That would be a big help in our running game , just the short 6 to 10 yard passes , well maybe 2 or 3 times in a game throw the ball down field 30 or 40 yards where no one has a chance to catch it , . Tell one receiver to fall down ,in a way that makes the defender start walking away shaking his head with his arms up over his head as if to say , "No .Not me I did not touch him " You know just to shake up the defense a bit and make them think" Wow he can throw that ball "
    May not get the receiver in the NFL , but it may get him into acting on TV .

7. msully

msully Founding Member

THE TEAM HAS TO WANT TO WIN and that cannot be taught or coached .

8. TigerBacker70

TigerBacker70 I'm the Cock of the Walk!

Exactly this.

I'm still waiting for a reasonable explanation of it being something else from someone who disagrees but haven't seen one that's plausible yet. 4 star players who play like walk ons. They are either not talented or not being coached in the offense to execute it successfully. If they're "not the right players to fit this offensive scheme" whose fault is that? The dummies recruiting them. You can't buy a sports car and then be mad that it's horrible at moving furniture. The person who got it for that purpose must be a moron.

Get the right tool for the job. Use the tool for its intended purpose skillfully. Succeed. I can't figure why any top WR would even consider LSU as an option right now.

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Did you miss 2013? When the coaches have an effective quarterback, they utilize him.

10. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

correct on all except i dont think cameron is clueless and we have 2 deer in headlights qb. one just played way more than he shouldve while the other should have gotten the reps. ajj doesnt see his 2nd wr much less his 3rd or 4th. anyone would be better at this point. literally.

GregLSU likes this.