Apple I-Pad

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by LSUMASTERMIND, Jan 28, 2010.

1. martin

martin Banned Forever

yes i know i bought one yesterday, an archos 7 android tablet. i will let you know how it goes.

2. LSUTigerDad

LSUTigerDad 2009 Pick Em Champ

The thread reminded me of an article someone sent me the other day. Quite a turnaround.

Apple Now Worth More Than Microsoft
    May 26, 2010
    By
    Stuart J. Johnston

Devoted Mac fans probably expected it all along, but Apple's market capitalization finally exceeded that of Microsoft as the largest technology firm -- capping one of the most successful turnarounds in recent business history.
    Redmond, Wash.-based Microsoft (NASDAQ: MSFT) closed Wednesday with a stock price of $25.01 per share and a market capitalization of $219.18 billion, while Apple (NASDAQ: AAPL) closed with a share price of $244.11 and a market cap of $222.12 billion.
    That's a far cry from 1997 when Microsoft's then-CEO and chairman Bill Gates stepped in to help out with a $150 million investment in Cupertino, Calif.-based Apple, which at the time was still on shaky financial ground. Apple had for years been facing sliding sales and stock price thanks in part to flops like the Newton and lackluster interest in its PCs, which were pricier than competing Windows-based offerings. Those missteps cut into its bottom line, and Apple went through several changes at the top before welcoming back co-founder Steve Jobs to lead the company in 1997.
    Microsoft, meanwhile, continued to rake in profits from sales of its software -- chiefly the Windows operating system and its Office productivity suite and related packages -- but struggled to play catch-up in areas like digital music and mobility, where Apple has since emerged as a dominant force.
    That Apple had to reach out to Microsoft for a helping hand in 1997 may make this week's triumph all the more sweet for Mac fans. The news also means that Apple is the second-largest company in the U.S., trailing Exxon Mobile (NYSE: XON), which closed Wednesday with a capitalization of some $278.64 billion.
    Apple vs. Microsoft enters a new chapter

Of course, the financial underpinnings of both of the technology giants are very different: Apple's revenues come largely from sales of consumer-oriented products, including Macs, iPods, iPhones, and the iPad, in addition to its iTunes online music store.
    Microsoft, by comparison, makes most of its money on Windows and the Office productivity applications suite, along with server products and other technologies aimed at business users.
    Although Microsoft is moving as quickly as it can to embrace consumer products with its Zune music player, and the Kin smartphone and Windows Phone 7 OS, it has enjoyed the most success in penetrating the consumer space to date with its Xbox 360 gaming console business.
    Microsoft hopes to broaden its consumer market base later this year when it officially launches Windows Phone 7 as well as what it hope will be a breakthrough product, its "Project Natal" device, which through the use of 3D camera technology converts the player's body into the game controller. Windows Phone 7 is also seen as having potential to revitalize Microsoft's strength in enterprise mobility, which is dominated by the likes of Research In Motion's BlackBerry and, increasingly, the Apple iPhone.
    The importance of the consumer and mobility spaces where Apple has emerged as a powerhouse certainly hasn't been lost on Microsoft, which on Tuesday announced it is reorganizing its Entertainment and Devices Division with the retirement of division president Robbie Bach, who will leave the company this fall.

1 person likes this.
  3. Rolan

Rolan Back to my roots

There is only one Apple, there are thousands of PC based companies. The comparison is never Apple vs. Microsoft for the PC market. It is PC vs. Apple, although Microsoft leads the battle for the PC.

Plus there is things like Google vs. Apple...

Microsoft Windows got dropped by Google due to Security recently, Google only uses Linux and Mac OS now. And soon Google will have their own OS for servers and the PC.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It's not about the hardware anymore. They are all PC's.

It's about the Apple way versus the Microsoft way.

5. Rolan

Rolan Back to my roots

I disagree, Apple has become PC Like, with Memory, Video cards, and Sound Cards. Hardware is the main issue many have with Macs, I don't want to have to buy from Apple to replace parts, period. I think hardware still plays a big role for many people when it comes to Apple.

6. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

It's becoming the Apple way vs. the Google way. Microsoft is fast becoming a third wheel...

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I'm shocked.

8. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

In the portable arena definitely.

When it comes to desktops it's not even close. Outside of the education and graphics/video world, 99% of the business desktop market is Microsoft.

In the server market Apple and Google are non existent.

9. Rolan

Rolan Back to my roots

I am interested in seeing how Google's new OS changes thing. I really think you are seeing all three companies becoming more alike. Fighting in the same areas.

Google v Microsoft v Apple

I am rooting for Google!

10. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

Which is why I used the word "becoming". When Chrome OS launches this year, it's only a matter of time. Apple and Microsoft are already trying to mimic Google's concept of "cloud" computing. It's the way of the future. Desktops as we know them will become practically nonexistent relics.