Apple I-Pad

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by LSUMASTERMIND, Jan 28, 2010.

1. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

this was my limited understanding too. i hope the ipod, iphone, ipad stuff (of which i have none) doesnt screw macs up for me.

through packet and socket-filter firewalls?

2. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

"macs are for people. pcs are for people that understand computers"

I dont agree with that, for 20 years I have been heavily involved in the Microsoft. I have been a .NET developer, development lead, and I now work for one the leading Microsoft Partners in the world. I am heavily invested in Microsoft technologies from a career perspective.

With that said, now that i have had my ipad for about 3 weeks now. It has been literally a life changing device. I use it constantly. I read books on it, I watch movies on it, email, internet, I dont even use my desktop anymore at home. I am not trying to be overly dramatic but this is an awesome device. We use it in so many facets of our lives. Last night read another digital book with my daughter, after we used an app to help cook dinner, I used it on the driving range for a golf app that gave me drills, then I watched a documentary on Columbine lying in bed.

I love this thing....

3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Got my iPad today going on it's 10th hour of battery life as we speak....the form factor is perfect and i will be much more likely to pick this up and use than i ever did my laptop pc

Missing flash of course but apple is going to force the industry away from this standard within a couple of years

I just wish someone would get a version of a browser like sky fire for the iPad that gets around using flash to show video content

No heat whatsoever coming from this device...keyboard is easy to use...apple's mobile interface is second to none

Built in gps was a nice feature i wasn't even aware of...tether it to my cell phone's Internet service via wi fi and bam i could have gps in my vehicle with a screen that you could actually read

It's a lovely device and brings ultimate portability to the forefront for the first time ever

I recommend it to everyone

Ps - the net book market is going bye bye

4. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

Do people still own/buy desktops anymore? I don't know anyone with one.

Not until the iPad drops their price below the average price of netbooks. Even then, netbooks will be even lower in cost. They fill a need in the cost of PCs.

5. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

"Do people still own/buy desktops anymore? I don't know anyone with on"

of course I have a Windows Vista Media PC that I can watch TV on, My xbox connects to it so I can listen to music and stream internet TV on my big screen. Has 3 printers attached that you can print from anywhere in the house. (yes I am a nerd)

My wife has one in her office for her work.
    Then I have 2 work Laptops. Which is my primary daily computer.

Then my ipad which gets the most attention.

6. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

I have a similar set-up, but I use an old laptop. No X=Box required. I'm about to throw a 1TB HDD in it and install the new M$ Windows Home Server Beta on it.

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Sure they do. I use a Mac Pro tower unit at work so it can be overloaded with processors, RAM and terrabyte disks and drive huge 30" monitors.

I use an iMac at home. It is like having a laptop that is open all the time and has a 27" screen. It has no fan and is silent like a laptop and all the hardware is in the monitor so it has no footprint at all except the keyboard and monopod stand. The iMac is on all the time so I can access it from work or on the road and it streams music and video to the AppleTV unit in the living room and syncs with the iPod and cell phone.

The MacBook Pro lives in its bag and is used for work-at-home and traveling and gives me a second computer on the home net which is sometimes handy.

I'll get an iPad next year when the 2.0 models come out that will have fixed all the glitches and complaints from the current one.

8. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

i have two at home and one at work. basically because they were cheaper.

9. Rolan

Rolan Back to my roots

lol

10. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

And I will sell mine for nearly the 500 I initially spent on it right before the 2.0 comes out