AP POLL - Team Analysis Report

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Smiladon purple, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Ch0sn0ne

Ch0sn0ne At the Track

Not freaking out. It is a legitimate concern. and a legitimate reason to not rank us near the top.

2. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

Legitimate concern, yes. So is CB and LB.

Legitimate reason to rank LSU out of the top ten? I say no.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and that's all preseason polls are anyway (and the reason I hate them).

But youth at three or four positions (even critical ones) in the middle of an otherwise incredibly deep and experienced winning program is not a reason to drop them a full 6 spots lower than the most respected voter on that site, who happens to agree with the most respected poll in the country (Coaches).

In short, Dildeaux is a bad judge of team potential and an even worse writer. How he continues to sell his crap (poor grammar, typos and all) is beyond me.

3. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

I have very little respect for the coaches poll, and I thought that was a common sentiment. All of these polls are a joke, as is Guilbeau, but one never knows. We have a deep team with a schedule that is tougher than the national media will give us credit for. When the weakest link is at QB and CB, with questionable punting, and with the replacement of one of the most respected DCs in the nation with a relatively unproven duo, losing a few games isn't out of reason.

I think Les and co will have the team ready and I expect we'll show up. But the SEC ain't a walk through the park.

4. Berge

Berge Founding Member

Sadly, the media will know more about the national scene than the coaches. While the coaches should be able to give a much better ranking within the conference, they know little outside of it.

Also, the media polls are completely reliant on the media itself. A 50-0 win on ABC will certainly weigh more than a 50-0 win on Tigervision or, considering 5+ years ago, no TV at all, not even highlights.

5. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

The AP is generally much better than the Coaches Poll IMO. At the same time, the AP is deeply flawed. I like well formulated computer rankings and a playoff at the end.

6. 2000_tiger

2000_tiger Founding Member

I was looking at the guy who gave us worst rankings in AP

Jon Wilner
    San Jose Mercury News

He has ranked us 18 ...defending N'champion is ranked 18. wow. Even without my P&G glasses that is stupid. But love the part where he has ranked following teams ahead of LSU.

Texas Tech (8)
    USF (12)
    Vir Tech (13) - They have lost most of their playmaker.
    North Carolina (17) - This was the final nail in the coffin. This team had 4-8 record last season. Even if they got ALL starters coming back, those are still the startes who could manage 4 wins. Give me freaking break...

7. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

1 person likes this.