Anyone Use Infrared Turkey Fryer

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by TCUTiger, Nov 3, 2017.

1. TCUTiger

TCUTiger Founding Member

Ok, looks like I might go to the dark side and try and do a turkey without using oil. Interested in ideas from those that have done this to include even your homemade injection recipe!!!!

You can email if you want at [email protected] Thanks a ton. I got best red beans and rice recipe of all time off this group several years ago!!!!

Props to Tiger Exile for the red beans recipe!!! It has "spread" amongst the "people"!

2. ROY_LA_CA

ROY_LA_CA Founding Member

Please sir, pass the red beans recipe on...

3. watson1880

watson1880 Founding Member

Yeah, in the fourth year or so and is pretty dang good! It takes about the same amount of total time as the oil fryer when factoring in bring up to temp the oil. A downside is we would usually do a lot with the fryer since it was on, sometime fry bread as a early app or even catfish just after the bird is out.

A major plus is safety, can't spill a flamable substance in the area. Also not lugging around the heavy gallon(s) oil containers is plus. Cost savings was around three or four changes on the oil and the infrared was paid off. Cleaning is another time savor, by the end of diner the unit was cool enough to clean I think... usually a game on so I don't fully remember.

We did nothing crazy with an injection, lots of rub under the skin with Tony's. You will still use oil on the outside of the bird to crisp-up the skin and give it a golden brown color.

4. TCUTiger

TCUTiger Founding Member

What about cooking time per lb??? I have not seen the IR unit yet, any special cooking technique???

5. TCUTiger

TCUTiger Founding Member

1. I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner. I just noticed the "mail" button had a number in it. Is this going to be a night game where you eat around 4:30 or 5:00? Anyway, here is what I would do - You want about a cup of beans per person and there are 4+ cups per pound. To be safe and visitor friendly I would plan on 6lbs of dry red beans. I like to soak mine overnight but you can do this Friday morning. You can use one of your big crawfish pots. Drain off the water and then fill back up and bring to a heavy boil. I add some spices to this step although I can't prove that they soak much up. Boil for 30 minutes. Let them rest in the water for another 30 minutes and then drain off the water. You can refrigerate them or pack them in Tupperware and have them already in an ice chest. It makes cooking the next day a lot easier. You can cut up the sausage and veggies also. Now for recipe:

6 lbs red beans soaked and par boiled
      Celery, Onions, Bell Peppers chopped (I like a lot of veggies in mine and they cook way down)
      Two pods of garlic sliced or chopped
      Light olive oil to sauté the veggies
      6 quarts chicken or veggie broth (you will also want to have a couple of gallons of water on hand)
      Two ham hocks
      3 lbs Andouille sausage

In a very large heavy bottomed pot sauté the veggies (not the garlic) until wilted. Add the beans and broth to cover. Bring to a boil and boil for 30 minutes. Reduce the heat and add the ham hocks and garlic. Season with Tony's, Tabasco, cayenne pepper and anything else you like. I really like white pepper in mine. Simmer the rest of the day making sure the bottom doesn't stick and burn. I keep it pretty liquid until very near the end when you can turn up the heat a bit and cook off the excess liquid. You also will want to smash some of the beans against the side to thicken it up. This stage requires constant monitoring and stirring, but doesn't take very long. You are then ready to serve over rice. The 20 cup rice cooker from Target will give you what you need and it keeps it warm for you. Make the 20 cups. I like to add chives to the top. I know everyone said cornbread and I am a big fan including jalapeno cornbread, but I love French bread with my red beans and rice. Let me know if you have any questions.

Tiger Exile, Oct 16, 2013Report

GiantDuckFan likes this.
  6. watson1880

watson1880 Founding Member

That's a "depends" question, what kind of unit you buy... we have a "char boil" big easy and the instructions say 10min/# I think.

No special techniques here

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I have a turkey fryer I haven't used in years. When I first got it I fryed a bunch of turkeys to give away but to fry just one or two turkeys I'm not going to go through all the trouble and spend more on the oil than I spend on the turkey.

I have a slow cooker big enough to hold a large turkey breast and it comes out moist and tender every time.