Anyone dove hunting this weekend?

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by UPTTiger, Sep 4, 2009.

1. UPTTiger

UPTTiger Founding Member

I bet it will be a good year. There seems to be loads of dove everywhere, even in the city. Most WMAs are having youth hunts on opening day so I will be heading to Mississippi. This will also be the start of my dog's first season so I'm sure I will be in for a few headaches despite the countless time on training.

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

About 15 years ago I was in a field sitting on a 5 gallon can in 95 degree heat, sweating my ass off and craving a cold beer. I thought: "What the F am I doing here?" I went to my truck, opened a beer, drove home and never dove hunted again. It didn't help that I am the world's worst wing shot.

3. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

I wish I was. Nope, gonna play a little golf w/ my wife's uncle and my brother in law in Dallas just to give me something to do while waiting on game time!

4. UPTTiger

UPTTiger Founding Member

Why was the beer in the truck? :hihi: The weather should be better too, high of only 94. Louisiana's opening day begins at noon which puts you in the middle of the heat. Mississippi begins at normal, '30-minutes before sunrise' time. If I do not limit out before the sun gets high, I will have to retrieving my own birds while the dog sleeps in the shade.

5. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

If I couldn't hit those little bastards sober...:D

6. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

My theory is it's far easier to fish and drink than hunt and drink. :thumb:

7. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

I had the same experience once hunting squirrel, add mosquitos.

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

"If you have ever been too drunk to fish, You just might be a redneck" - Jeff Foxworthy

Like Sabanfan, I also have a lot of trouble hitting the little basards as they flitter and flutter around, but for the last couple of years I have seen these doves around in my yard that are about twice the size of the regular doves.
    I recently found out that they are a different species of doves from Mexico and that there is no limit on them. It would be very easy to shoot enough of them for a meal right here in my yard but I don't think my neighbors would be too happy if I started shooting them with my shotgun.

Does anybody know where I can get my old Benjamin pump pellet gun repaired?

9. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

10. UPTTiger

UPTTiger Founding Member

If you are serious about the Benjamin, there is an amateur gunsmith guy that posts on LA Sportsman classified about fixing Benjamin and other small jobs. I think he is out of Lafayette.