Any moonshiners

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by TexasTigers, Dec 19, 2011.

1. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

No not the TV show, although i do like the show.

I know this is illegal so I am NOT making moonshine as far as you know
    So any law enforcement types leave me alone.
    But IF I did want to make some PERSONAL Moonshine any moonshiners can IM me. Again not to actually make moonshine but just curious IF you did any tips. You know for educational purposes only.
    Looking at some home distiller recipes. If I would do this I found one using apple instead of corn that is fantastic. Not that I do that. But if I did I heard that is really good.

Thanks also IF you were making hooch, what kind of Still would you use. Again not that any of us would because its illegal. But just for argument sake, you know curiosity...

Thanks.

2. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

While it might be fun it just isn't worth it IMO. Especially if you don't know what you are doing. If you don't know how to split the high end from the middle you will end up with liquid methane in a bottle and in the best case lose your eyesight. Head to the liquor store and get you a bottle of the legal stuff. You can at least sue someone if that crap causes damage. :hihi:

3. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

I watched "No Reservations" once when AB was in Russia. They were in this dude's house, and he made his spirits from potatoes. He had a pot with a coil on topof it on top of his stove. Dude said everybody in Russia makes their own vodka this way. AB got pretty drunk in that episode.

4. KyleK

This dude that worked for me in WF brought me some moonshine once. I couldn't drink it. Tasted like sh!t. Last summer, another friend had some in a flask at a party I was at. That stuff was really good and potent as heck.

5. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Now I will tell you that as a young Marine in Desert Storm we got bored and thristy one day so one of us sent home for some yeast, one of us "acquired" a 5 gallon water can, another of us "acquired" a can of that military grape juice concentrate and someone else found a bag of sugar. We had to send home for the yeast because no one in the kitchen would give it to us because they knew what we were going to do with it. So we ended up with bakers yeast and I'm pretty sure that is where the whole expiriment went horribly wrong.

We mixed all this stuff in the jug and burried it for about a month.

We didn't need a map or anything because when we went to dig it up the can had swole up enough to start pushing the ground up. Thing was about 3x the size it was before we put it in there. One turn of the lid and it shot off like a champagne cork. Smelled okay, tastes horrible. I'm not sure we were drunk but deffinately in an altered state. Most of us spent a good amount of time on the crapper and the others were doubled over doing their best sidewinder rattle snake impression.

Good times!

6. TexasTigers

A friend of mine had some last year and it was great.
    I have been reading a great deal about it (High end, etc) and understand the risks.
    But I know of someone who does this and if you do it right you can make some really good spirits.
    Again not that I will of course. But the one with apple I had one time and it tasted like cider.

7. martin

martin Banned Forever

you can also just buy alcohol at the store.

8. TexasTigers

Sure but what fun is that. Sometimes life is about burning days. Finding something to burn a day, create something Hence people who do wood work. You can buy furniture at a store, but creating that chair yourself while a baseball game is on in the background, that is a great way to burn a few days. They like to build something, create something.
    Sure i can get better tasting liquor at a store. But millions of people brew their own beer ? Why because its something to do. How do you think half of the microbrews came about. Not that I want to sell it.
    for me at my age with kids and wife. Life is about finding sh*t that is interesting to keep you busy.

Hence my desire to learn how to make hooch. I dont plan on opening up a nip joint or selling it. I just want to experiment with it, I wont probably even drink it. Just something to do.

9. KyleK

Never really thought about the beer thing. If you can make beer, why the heck can't you make liquor?

I too have had a passing interest in making some and have done a little research. I may have to experiment some time.

10. TexasTigers

Its legal to make beer and wine for personal use only, but illegal to make liquor, specially moonshine which is 180proof. So technically by law you cannot make whiskey, vodka, etc etc.

With a still you could technically make your own hard liquor (Vodka, Whiskey, etc). Which is what I am interested in. Just playing around experimenting. Again burn a few days and create something. Like I said I had some apple moonshine (From Arkansas) and it was fantastic and it knocked you on your feet to boot.

Strange i know but its the law. My neighbor two doors down works for ICE. Pretty high up in ICE and I was asking him about it. Although illegal so are bl*w jobs in several states so they dont really arrest people for it unless you are selling it or mass producing it. (That is probably true for Bl*w jobs as well ;-) ) But most law enforcement have better things to deal with than some guy in his mid 40s making a jar of moonshine in his own home for personal use.