Any Hunters in TF?

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by LSUTiga, Sep 16, 2007.

1. KajunKenny

KajunKenny Founding Member

LOL....

I love to deer, rabit and dove hunt... not really into much else...

duck hunting is basically pointless nowadays... I remember going when I was younger and being home by 8 am with a limit... now u hunt all season trying to get a limit...

true story... we've all heard of the lucky sob who shot a duck and it fell in the boat... well

we dove hunt in Galliano... nice little spread and opening day is usually 200 birds dead... well anywho, my buddy was standing right next to me and like 5 doves were coming low right at us... he shoots twice and drops 2 birds... the second one he actually caught with his left hand...

I Was like OMFG...

2. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Sorry for taking so long to respond to this thread...but I've been busy preparing and planting food plots when I have had time off from work!!

This year, a couple of friends and I got together on a small lease...only about 10 minutes from the house. One of the guys has long been in a large lease with his business partners, and I have always been able to make a trip or two with him every year. He got ticked off about someone abusing priveleges...allowing THEIR guests to use HIS stands...on days when HE wanted to hunt...without telling HIM...so he opted out of the lease this year with them. It was cool, too. He knew last season would be the end for him up there, so he invited me to "meat hunt" about 5 times in the last two weeks of the season!:hihi:

Anyway, we kinda got this lease last minute...and didn't have much time to scout. Luckily, it's small...and the likely spots/routes are obvious enough. We were able to find the main bedding area the first time we stepped on the property...as deer went scurrying all over when we topped a hill into a cutover. There are 2 very small creeks...a powerline...cutover (the majority of the acreage)...small pines...and hardwoods which line the creeks. We managed to locate about 4 locations for permanent stands (ladders and hang ons), and several good climbing trees. This past weekend, we planted 3 small food plots that I had tilled up last week. We installed the only game tracker camera we have between us, and will visit it once more...this Friday...to check the camera and fertilize the plots. (should've done it already, but the rain kept me in the HOUSE)

Another thing...I mentioned we already know there are deer there...but also, that same first morning...we jumped SEVERAL large turkeys...(Yes Batgirl, they flew)...and saw a few hog tracks. We will deal with the hogs appropriately if given the chance, and I look forward to hunting the turkeys next spring. I have been itching to try turkey hunting for years now...just haven't had the opportunity. People tell me once I try it, I'll give up fishing.:eek: Not happening! But I bet it is fun.

Our bow season opens October 15th, and as far as I know...I'm the only one of the 3 of us that bowhunts...so I guess I get the jump on the other 2. Only one problem...I haven't shot my bow since last fall...and haven't shot it in the woods/from a treestand/at an animal in at least 5 years. I need to practice before I line up on an animal.

3. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

i used to trap growing up. its pretty brutal. I got tired of finding half-eaten legs from animals that gnawed their leg off to escape. I didnt mind putting a .22 bullet in the head of a mink or coon but knowing I caused crippled animals daily wasnt worth it.

1 person likes this.
  4. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

So, you guys really eat squirrel? I thought only the Beverly Hillbillys did that. :hihi:

5. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

well they are rodents and no different than tree rats. whatever you're raised on is normal but meat is meat pretty much. perception/culture is everything.

6. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

SabanFan Rule #108: Never eat rodents unless they have hair on the tail*.

*Before you clean them:hihi:

7. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

Love to shoot, but not hunt. I have a pair of .223 varmint rifles (26" heavy barrels) and I reload. I use a 36X scope, and a mechanical rest in front with bunny ear sandbags in the rear. When you reload, you are really looking for the optimum bullet seating depth for YOUR chamber, and the perfect powder charge for each bullet type you shoot. When I find it for a particular bullet (I like Nosler 69 gr. Competitions), you should be close to shooting 1/2" 5-shot groups at 100 yds, center to center, on a consistent basis.

I belong to American Shooting Center in Houston, a BIG nice range.
    http://www.amshootcenters.com/

8. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Another hunting story...telling on myself.

Last season, along with hunting at my buddies lease that he knew he was leaving, I was able to hunt at another buddies place...his family's land. I didn't have time to sight in my .270, which I was quite certain was off. You see, it had been moved around quite a bit after the storm while our house was being re-sheetrocked and such. It went from my house, to my mom and dad's...which is where my wife and kids lived for 4 months while I was in Miami working. While I was still gone, they were able to move back in...and when I started looking for my guns, I found them in the floor of my closet...which is why I was sure it wasn't sighted in anymore. But I digress...

Anywho...I asked this buddy what kind of shot I would be likely to face...as I have an old 30/30 with iron sights...and for some reason, I trusted this gun even without sighting it in...I told him I was good with this gun within 100-120yds or so. He told me I would be hunting a green field...but he thought it was only about 3 acres or so. He dropped me off, and gave me directions to a ground blind at the edge of the field...and told me the deer would come into the field diagonal from me...and work their way across and in front of me. He wanted me to take a doe if possible, and I said that would be fine.

I found my way to the little ground blind...and settled in for the afternoon. I didn't have to wait long before a large older doe stepped into the field with two yearlings...not fawns, mind you...but yearlings. I noticed almost instantly that the old doe was crippled, and decided...especially since it was freezing cold...that I would get this hunt over with and put her out of her misery. I knew also though that my buddy was way off on his estimates of the size of the field. I guess it to be about 7-8 acres. I decided to give her time...as she was still coming closer to me...and none of them seemed to be the slightest bit nervous.

I watched them thru binos for a while...and could tell that she had sustained an injury to her right foreleg. I decided to go ahead and take her...and steadied for the shot. I had a good rest, wasn't the least bit nervous, and she presented a perfect broadside shot. I squeezed off a round, and I saw her dip down a little, before beginning to run off. I just knew I had hit her...and fortunately, she ran directly in front of me...although she was still on the other side of the field. She came to a stop in front of a large dirtpile...which gave me a nice background to shoot again. I did, and the same thing happened...she dipped down, then ran. She was still running in front of me...on the other side of the field...when I noticed she was heading toward what looked like an exit on the backside of the field. Since I was so sure I had hit her, I felt as though I HAD to take her out...so I squeezed off the 3 remaining shots I had...period.

This is where the really embarassing part begins.:( All 3 deer are extremely confused by this point...and apparently either didn't know where the shots were coming from...or knew I was out of bullets.:shock: They begin to come across the field...straight at me!!:angry: I could do nothing but watch as they drew closer, and when they were about 40 yds from me, they stopped...TO FEED!!!!!:po: It was like they didn't have a care in the world. To make matters worse, more deer came into the field to my left...but on my side of the field...probably about 70-80 yds away. It was getting dark, and I had to know why I missed. I snuck out quietly, hoping they would sense some danger and leave without really spooking. They didn't...and it wasn't until I was literally walking in the field before they decided to leave...and they didn't even blow or anything! It was like they were mocking me!! I made my way to the dirtpile, stepping it off as I went...150+ steps.:eek: The first shot was even further...a good bit further. It was then that I realized one of the mistakes I made...not knowing my distance. The other was this...I went the next day to sight that gun and the .270 in, and even the 30/30 was shooting WAY right...apparently having been bumped around pretty good in all the post Katrina commotion. The .270? It was pretty good...good enough to hit a deer in the vitals at 150 yds, anyway!

Oh, by the way...I later realized the reason she "dipped" whenever I shot was because of her injury.

Don't worry...even though I sighted those two guns that day...and haven't taken them out of their cases since...I will still take them to the range before gun season begins...I PROMISE!:rofl:

9. goldengirlfan

goldengirlfan simple man

Have spent many a morning waxing ducks and it does work well. My dad was a teacher/principal and hunted almost every morning of the duck season. The other cleaning method you mentioned ($1 a duck) is much better than waxing though.

10. Deceks7

Deceks7 Founding Member

Saw the first Lesser Canada Geese flying into Lubbock yesterday afternoon. About 40 on the pond this morning.