Any Gardeners Here?

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by KyleK, Apr 20, 2014.

1. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

My dad was a production manager at a textile mill where I grew up in NC. A lot of the first shift guys would farm from 3 to dark. My dad was kind of a management legend (he gave what became a locally "historic speech" off the cuff when the plant integrated.)

He was no liberal, but he knew what was right and wrong and he knew how to manage people.

Anyway, many nights we had to go pick him up he had so much stuff that the part time farmers gave him. We lived in mill village where he could normally walk home.

One evening I was walking to my room, that was kind of back by the kitchen, and for some reason turned on the light. A 3 or so foot, but very thick Mr Copper Dopper was coiled, in what would have directly been in my path. My dad called for the shotgun, but cooler heads prevailed, mine, and we hoed it.

Next day the guy who had given my dad the veggies raced to meet my dad, saying they had killed four small copperheads where he had stacked his veggies and to check the bag for little copperheads. Daddy told him we had found momma, the guy thought he would be fired. Needless to say, we ate well after that and no more snakes.

The first time i "bought" a tomato was cognitive dissonance..it just did not compute!

Check your sacks, carefully!

GregLSU likes this.
  2. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

I think the cold may have gotten my tomato plants. They were doing fine but now the leaves are sort of a lime green and almost starting to yellow. Just don't look well at all. We are supposed to have really nice weather this week so I will keep them watered and see what they do.

3. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

I put in another 200' of peas today and about 80 feet of bush beans. Had to replant about 15 squash that didn't come up. I haven't been sunburned in 20+ years. I am today.

4. shane0911

Maybe I put too much water on em

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Maybe they are still good for throwing. My tomatoes are still at the grocery store or fruit and vegetable stand where I will select only the most perfect tomatoes and only the right quantity for my immediate tomato needs

6. shane0911

Lol not even close. Just a few leaves left

7. KyleK

Try this link. Pretty much covers everything that could be going on.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080615091541AAwza5A

8. shane0911

Thanks Kyle

9. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Kyle, how's the project going?

10. KyleK

Tons of work (mostly by myself and 3 others), but we are harvesting squash, zucchini, onions and potatoes. The rain this week has caused a few problems. I had scheduled yesterday and today (Thurs and Fri) off to work in the garden and the rain completely shut me down. Tons of squash buds (flowers) got knocked off, and I had planted about 20 each of jalapenos, bell peppers, and cayenne peppers just before the rain. Those seeds, if they haven't floated away, will probably rot. That said, peppers take 2 - 3 weeks to come up so I have to wait a bit before I replant.

We are starting to generate some interest from other churches for volunteers, so hopefully this will help us grow the project a bit.

With around 125 squash plants, we are harvesting a lot. The peanuts are about 1/2 way there. Beans, peas, eggplant, tomatoes, cucumbers, and okra are about a month away from harvest. Our corn was last to go in and so it is quite a ways off. This week, as soon as it is dry enough, we are planting watermelons and pumpkins, and then will fill the rest of our plantable area with field peas. Also, sometime this week, we are putting in another 75 tomato plants. These were all rooted from the suckers that we took off of the first 25 plants that we started from seed and transplanted about 3 or 4 weeks ago. That is a trick that Jim, our tomato old-timer, taught me. I had no idea you could do that!

I'm gonna be out there tomorrow trying to get the watermelon hills ready, if its not still flooded. I'll try and get a few pics.

I've never had a garden this large and it is taking a huge amount of time, but I expected as much for our first year. Thanks for asking bro!