Any Gardeners Here?

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by KyleK, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

2. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Yeah, pretty much the same thing. We call em deer food. Fuckers seem to know when it's time to pick and they mow em down 2 days before we get to them.

kcal likes this.
  3. KyleK

Washington Parish has the best watermelons anywhere. People come from all over to get them. If you want THE Washington Parish watermelon, you want a John Gallaspy watermelon. He is one of the 5 of us that manage our garden.

This is a short, really great read on Mr. John.

4. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

In Bunkie, when we sell melons we put a sign saying, " Sugar Town," no matter whose garden they came out of.

Bengal B likes this.
  5. KyleK

If you tasted one of Mr. John's, you would understand. The guy has been growing melons for 70 years.

6. Bayou Tiger

Bayou Tiger Founding Member

Planted a few maters and a couple of nanner peppers today. @KyleK yall busted some sod yet?

7. KyleK

Yep. Planted 300 lb of potatoes this year. Also planted 20, 150' rows of corn. Have probably 150 hills of squash.

Not doing Tomatoes this year. We had tons of tomatoes last year that rotted on the vine.

Was working on the home Garden today. Planted a whole bunch of herbs. That's something I've wanted to do for a long time. Next weekend I plan on doing tomatoes, squash, green beans and some peas in my backyard.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    shane0911 and Bayou Tiger like this.
  8. KyleK

Been picking corn the last few days. Dropped off about 350 ears to our local Help Center (food bank). We have tons more corn left, just gotta get it picked. Also took them about 500 pounds of potatoes. The potato crop was really disappointing this year. We planted 200# of red potatoes and harvested maybe 75#. Our white (Kenebeck) potatoes did really well. We planted 100# of those and harvested about 700-800# of those.

At home, my squash has just started budding and I also picked my first 7 tomatoes (small cherry type) in the last couple of days. My plants are loaded so I am looking forward to a good crop. @lsutiga , how is yours coming?

LSUTiga, kcal and GiantDuckFan like this.
  9. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Slow, very slow.

10. dachsie

dachsie Veteran Member

I have one tomato plant loaded and the plant itself is almost 6 feet. Its taller than me if I hold the branches up. none of my other tomatoes seem to be doing anything.