Any beer snobs here...

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by GregLSU, Sep 24, 2013.

1. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

I usually drink Samuel Adams, or Abita and I got sick of drinking the same ol' Bud, Miller, etc... so I started experimenting with other types of beers. I try my best to drink a different beer as often as possible. Some of the few that i've had recently, and really enjoyed, as well as would recommend to those who enjoy a good beer. Several of these beers are really hardy and heavy so they're really for enjoying versus the slamming to get drunk, they'll leave you on the full side after several. But the plus side is the ABV is around 5-9% so...

Wells Banana Bread Beer... very good beer that leaves a small hint of banana spice behind. Really enjoyed this one and if I can find more will be drinking much more of it.

Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout... one of my all time favorites. I buy this one when ever I can find it on the shelf, but at $5 a beer it can get pricey. Fairly heavy but well worth it.

Franziskaner Weissbier Naturtrub... A very good wheat ale from germany, another favorite as far as ales go, but you won't be disappointed.

Samuel Adams Thirteenth Hour which is a dark belgian stout... anither heavy stout that is very well balanced in taste, but at $10 for a 1 pint 9.4 fl oz bottle it is another pricey beer. But then again at 9% abv it doesn't take much to loosen up.

I had a few Belgium Brew Pumkinkick beers this weekend but wasn't all that impressed although it wasn't bad, just wasn't what I was expecting. Also had a nice sweet potatoe ale that was really good, flavorful dark beer that was really nice but the store ran out so i'm waiting for them to restock to get more.

Any other beer snobs here? Share your favorite beers so I can go find'em amd try'em.

2. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Because of my job I spend a lot of time in Cleveland, Great Lakes Brewing Co. has a great line of beers but I don't know what their availability would be outside of that area. I am currently enjoying an "Edmund Fitzgerald" which is a handcrafted porter.

They also have a dortmunder that is exceptional.

There is a what I think to be a spanish brew called "Estrella" that is very good and has a high abv.

One of my favorites is a Prague beer called "Staropramen" it is a light beer in color, probably an ale but very tasty and VERY potent.

If any of you are near an Old Chicago that is a great place to try new or different beers, they usually have a great line up on tap and the barteenders are usually pretty knowledgeable about them.

3. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Try Pumking...Found it to be a pretty good one out of the few I tried.

Staying on the flavored beers, I really like Sweet Water Blue. Just started distribution in LA this month.

Currently into Hitachino Nest...White Ale is my favorite but all very good. Expensive though.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I've been a beer slob for years. I prefer a fine Budweiser. Sometimes a hearty Pabst Blue Ribbon. I always have a Busch Bavarian where they have it. And Miller High Life . . . don't try to pawn off any Miller Lite or Miller Genuine Draft. Horse piss.

Herb likes this.
  5. shane0911

You cheap bastard, loosen up with some of that University money and live a little why dontcha? Jeeez Amigo!

GregLSU likes this.
  6. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

Can't remember the maker but I had a 6'er of Southern Pecan a cple weekends ago that was really good. Think it's brewed in MS. Had few of the Samuel Smith Nut Brown Ales that were really good, their India Ale was alright but nothing to write home about... probably wouldn't buy it again.

7. shane0911

I know Abita makes something with a pecan flavor but I'm not sure I have ever tried it. My Abita's rank Amber, AndyGator, Light, Abbey Ale, Restoration, Turbo Dog in that order. The Purple Haze is okay and the only one I don't like is the Jackamo. I also like the SOS but not sure where to slot it and haven't tried too many others. I have heard the Harvest Ale is really good and that may be the one with the Pecan that you are talking about. Abita doesn't make bad beer.

8. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

I agree with you, Abita makes some great beer. I've tried them all, haven't found one I don't really like but Amber, Restoration and PH are my favorite. Been trying to expand my beer horizons and have found some great Euros that are superior to most anything i've had made around here, just don't like the price tag associated with them. I'm currently sitting here drinking a few Farnziskaner wheat ales, very tasty and strong.

9. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

There's some Iphone app (Or maybe that got dam facebook) that you taste a beer, take a pic of the can, and comment on it. You should get on that. If you are interested I can ask my sister and pm you.

10. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

Yeh i'd give it a shot, thx.