Another School shooting - Texas this time

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by dachsie, May 18, 2018.

1. dachsie

dachsie Veteran Member

If a teacher WANTED to be armed and was properly trained, I would have no problem with it.

Bengal B and Bayou Tiger like this.
  2. Bayou Tiger

Bayou Tiger Founding Member

In ANY situation with a gunman on a shooting rampage, I DEFINITELY want a gun. Not to run down and shoot him but to be able to if he's comes my way. Be dam if I'm gonna curl up in a corner to scream and beg a punk not to shoot me without a chance to take his ass out.

Bengal B likes this.
  3. Bayou Tiger

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  4. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

We had several Air Force guys. Like I said, most!

5. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

This was an interesting link, though I know there was a fatal shooting at Glen Oaks High while I was at LSU that wasn't listed. I found out that the cafeteria manager at Lake Highlands High School in Dallas was murdered there a year before my husband went there.

The first mass shooting was at the University of Texas in 1966 with the next mass shooting coming in Littleton in 1999. In this century, the mass shootings have been more prevalent.

Oh, and many of the previous shootings were among staff members...hence, do teachers really need to be armed?

Bayou Tiger likes this.
  6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Especially if another armed teacher is shooting at them.

7. dachsie

dachsie Veteran Member

LaSalleAve likes this.
  8. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

For those that are ambivalent about teachers carrying, here is something to think about. I am only addressing my experience, but I’m pretty confident it’s pretty universal.

Teachers are in very close contact with students on a near constant basis. I frequently was bent over tables explaining problems, or bent over desks doing the same. Students would have been routinely inches from any weapon I was carrying.

A holster could come unsnapped, or heaven forbid, a student could make a grab for it.

In the lunch line, daily, I would have to go through the line and get the troublemakers back in control, again in very close contact.

My point is that teachers, at least good teachers, are not perched on a throne in the front of the room, with space (and security) between the lectern and the students. Any weapon worn by a teacher, during the course of a day will be in near constant very close proximity to students. IMHO, not a good idea.

Last edited: May 19, 2018
    StaceyO likes this.
  9. Bayou Tiger

It would have to be conceal carry; otherwise, students would know and target those who carried as it would become common knowledge.

10. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

I'm not in favor of arming teachers, but WE HAVE TO DO SOMETHING!!!
    Do we use security like we do at airports? Until someone comes up with a better, more practical idea I'm in favor of putting the Guard/Reserves in schools.