Another School shooting - Texas this time

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by dachsie, May 18, 2018.

1. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

My first two years of teaching I was on a three person team, with two women. I was the BO guy, in exchange for pawning off crying 8th grade girls on one of the women. (I came out way ahead).

Had to talk to kids several times a month. It is incomprehensible how bad some of those students stank.

I can still remember my opening line: “Son, I need to talk to you over here for a second.” Always private, always brief. Always successful.

And you can bet I ejected the weepers immediately! And in the 8th grade, there is a lot of crying!

As an aside, the worst smelling kid ever was a chubby girl who wore a long, heavy coat every day. She probably sweated like a pig. FYI, kids wearing long coats, every day, should be cause for serious concern. Just sayin’.

Bayou Tiger and shane0911 like this.
  2. HalloweenRun

I am with you, 100%. I am now retired, but was expert in military marksmanship, had concealed carry permit and had been around guns for fifty years. There is no way I would teach “armed.” And I would not have worked in environment where teachers were armed. No way.

3. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Over the course of my career I've seen plenty, a lot more than expected of kids that just would not shower for whatever reason.

When members of the platoon would complain I would just look at them and say "fix it"

That usually meant 4 or 5 guys would strip ol stinky and toss him into the shower with a green scratch pad and a container of comet or whatever other cleaner was available.

el005639 and HalloweenRun like this.
  4. dachsie

dachsie Veteran Member

I am in Houston today, well The Woodlands, and they just announced on radio thatJJ Watts told the school folks he would pay for all the funerals. Wow!

5. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I mean, can you just imagine StaceyO from 8th grade English teaching Fahrenheit 451 or The Diary of Anne Frank one minute and running into the hall to pick off a sniper the next?

And...there are some teachers that I wouldn't necessarily trust with a gun on them.

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

They might start calling you The Stacinator.

GiantDuckFan likes this.
  7. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

If that’s true man they need to change the name Houston to Watts. Or Harris county to Watts county.

8. HalloweenRun

Most!

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Aren't there quite a few teachers who were in the military?

10. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

We have a couple of veterans on my campus. Quite a few is probably an overstatement.