Another School shooting - Texas this time

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by dachsie, May 18, 2018.

1. dachsie

dachsie Veteran Member

@LaSalleAve @Bengal B Exactly my point. I think the difference now is not the guns, but how kids are raised (or not). Millenials are the generation of me, me, me. Everyone gets a participation trophy because we don't want to hurt anyone'd feelings. THey don't know how to communicate because they have their noses stuck in their phones on social media and texting. Parents are either helicoptering their kids or not engaged at all. I would have never dreamed of doing some of the stuff kids these days do. And if I had, I would have paid for it. I don't know. smh

HalloweenRun, Winston1 and COTiger like this.
  2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

As a teenager I would have been too afraid of my grandpa kicking the living shit out of me if I even pointed a gun at someone much less did anything like that.

3. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

I don’t think any “sound bite” solution is worth a shit. A broad range of issues need to be addressed, and access to guns is only one of them. Anyone with a quick answer should be viewed with great skepticism.

Winston1 likes this.
  4. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I agree we have a huge problem, but there is no easy solution. Nor do we want to overreact and give away our rights to the government.

We are sliding down a slippery slope.

5. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Your grandpa would probably be arrested for child abuse if he did that today.

COTiger likes this.
  6. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Americans have always had easy access to guns. And the web is full of people reminiscing about freely bringing guns to school in the mid-20th century. If they can be believed, some schools had shooting teams, with target ranges on campus. Others talk about bringing their shotgun/hunting rifle to school so they could go hunting right after dismissal. They'd just leave the gun with the teacher and pick it up at the end of the day. https://www.quora.com/Is-it-true-schools-used-to-have-shooting-ranges
    Access hasn't changed, behavior has changed.

el005639 and Winston1 like this.