Another 5 Loss Season Acceptable?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUMASTERMIND, May 7, 2015.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

You know John Chavis was supposed to be a linebacker guy and linebacker was consistently the weakest part of our defense. The D line steadily declined every year under him as well. The only consistent was our defensive backfield, and Corey and Cooper deserve a lot of the credit for those units. If Steele can get the most out of our linebackers and O get the most out of the line our defense could be better than it was under Chavis, because that secondary is the shiznit like Popeyes chicken.

2. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

I am afraid we are gonna lose a lot more than you want. QB is not settled, though there have been improvements, but...what are the likelihood of both improving tremendously, and it being tight, or both improving a little and it still a race. Without a good solid quarterback, we become one dimensional, get stopped running the ball, the defense is back on the field, and they eventually tire out. We will have a pretty good team, but in our conference, pretty good is not going to be ranked very high. Still love Tiger Stadium and our uniforms, not matter what!

3. LaSalleAve

If we drop more than 5 that's gonna be ugly. One good thing, the slide over the last 3 years has meant more home night games. CBS doesn't want us anymore.

4. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

If you look inside the numbers, 5 losses is a minimum of 3 losses in the West. That puts LSU again as a middle of the pack SEC West team. Fair or not, we have come to expect LSU to contend for the West every year. With the talent brought in every year they should. The other West schools have gotten better but LSU hasn't. Next year is a big year but it will take 2 more years for Miles to get fired. The coordinators have changed. If they don't succeed then it is on the head coach. At some point Miles will have to answer for the underachievement. He controls the situation now and I hope it works out.

I don't want LSU to suck just to have Les fired. I want Les to be the greatest coach of all time and I want a unicorn.

5. LaSalleAve

That's how I feel. I'm not a fire Miles guy, I hope the dude retires from LSU an old man with a ring on each finger. Something tells me his departure will be amicable with a ring on one, 2 if you count his wedding ring.

lsu-i-like, shane0911 and mancha like this.
  6. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Weak ass argument. Hire the best man available. I think Aleva knows how important football is to LSU. If you wait forever for perfection you will miss out on opportunities for excellence.

Of course, it seems like Jingle is trying to shit on LSU so the rest of Louisiana doesn't feel so picked on, in his futile hope to run the world.

But yeah, another 5 loss season would equal hot seat. And really it would be a great deal of underachieving by Miles, only those in too deep would say otherwise.

tirk likes this.
  7. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

I can't think of a better example of this than what we've seen at Florida the last few years.

We've seen so many laud Jeremy Foley for his hiring practices mainly due to him being falsely credited for Meyer leaving Utah and taking the job in Gainesville. Yet, we don't often see him being criticized for Ron Zook or for Muschamp. Donovan leaves UF. Do we call White a home-run hire? I like Jim McElwain, but I can't call him a home-run hire.

There is a HUGE amount of luck in play with home-run hires and that's not taking into account how often a good coach is a bad fit for the school (not to mention what's in place when they're hired.)

lsu-i-like and tirk like this.
  8. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Good to see you in this TerryP, yesterday a couple coaches and I were talking about this and a few other things. One coach an a&m grad pointed out, Francis, leaving bama for a&m. He knew a few coaches on that staff at the time, he asked those coaches, what was he thinking? They are thinking the same thing. No one knew. Leave bama almost in the middle of the night, for a&m. Now Francis is up coaching at Tx St in San Marcos, and something I didn't know, it has an enrollment of around 30k.
    I always say, if your gonna get rid of a coach, you better have one as good or better to replace him with. In this day and time, it's not that easy.

Last edited: May 8, 2015
    HalloweenRun likes this.
  9. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

Whether by losses, being hit by a bus, meteorite, a heart-attack, it will happen eventually. That's the honest question pumper logic deflects. You will have to chose no matter what.

LSUDad likes this.
  10. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

You don't have to look far, two players he recruited, signed and coached while DC at Clemson just went in the first round of this years NFL Draft. One with the 8th pick and one with the 31st. Yep the Saints took one of his players. Looking for the time he was there, coaching and recruiting, he had 19 players get drafted, same time frame, LSU 26. Not bad.

Over the past couple weeks, I've talked with a number of coaches that have worked with and under him, some that have coached against him. All have talked very highly about him.
    I did the same thing when OL Coach Grimes was hired. Want to know how good a coach is? Talk with guys in the profession.

The last two days, I've talked with close to a dozen coaches. One was in the area recruiting for University of South Dakota, yep a long way to find players. But the Houston area, got too much talent, ask LSU coaches, they like to offer in this area.