Another 5 Loss Season Acceptable?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUMASTERMIND, May 7, 2015.

1. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

4 years in the NFL, 6 Neb, 4Fla St, 4 bama, 9 years in the SEC. Hired twice by the greatest college coach ever.

didit likes this.
  2. BayouBengal014

BayouBengal014 Founding Member

Continuity is the key. Players have to buy into the scheme and understand what it means to compete at the highest level. You havet to get the most maturation out of guys that are 18 and 19 years old. The expectation is very high at a program like LSU and sometimes it might take a few years to build a strong foundation. All Les has done is maintain what the program has already done under Saban. Unfortunately the success has all but dwindled down and the mindset of theses players has already been set. It's one thing to be a great athlete but it's a whole another price of the pie when they become great football players. You can't expect to recruit track stars and think they can become all Americans the first day they step on campus.

3. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Said by many, the greatest coach in the NFL coaching today for the Pats. He was fired after 5 years as a Head Coach in the NFL.

If you are in the profession long enough, you'll get fired, you'll lose games.

A friend of mine has been at 11 stops, been fired 4 times, but again, all 4 times, the HC and entire staff was let go. The nature of the business. Most coaches I know, try to get their kids into another profession. Most fail at that too.

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  4. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Want a list of coaches that have not maintained a program? It's a long one. How far the mighty have fallen.

UT all but had saban locked in, but had to settle for Strong. They are already kicking at him, might not get a fair shot. We'll see. Strong is a good coach, do they give him a fair amount of time? Can he turn it around quickly?

5. BayouBengal014

I thought Charlie Strong was a bad hire. Nowhere on his resume was he ready to coach out of Mac Browns Shadow. Look at what Art Briles is doing at Baylor. Texas has triple the money that Baylor has and has been competitive in the Big 12 conference for the past 5 years. It just goes back to what I said with leadership especially at the quarterback position. You take one look at Brice Petty and he could easily start anywhere in the country. It's about getting players to understand what it means to represent something so big. Every game when you put that uniform on you are a representation of success to kind of success that many have worked for many years before you. These kids that step foot on campus need light shed on them about competing for the championships as a team and not as a player under the lights. That's just the maturity you get out of guys that play for guys like Sabsn, Briles and Meyer. Ohio State pretty much has three Quaterbacks who have the ability to start anywhere in the country .

6. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

I like Briles, made a game there last year, the new stadium is in a great setting. On the Brazos River, near a warehouse district with shops, sports bars, etc. Walk down the river, cross a foot bridge into the stadium. Great venue. Worth the trip. I saw the DC from Baylor a couple weeks back (One of the college coaches was having a wedding and a number of coaches were there), Art knew he had to use more than his offense to win games. Briles would be a good coach at LSU, but he's had offers and turned them down.

tigerchick46 and BayouBengal014 like this.
  7. BayouBengal014

Yes and because of that I have a lot of respect for him. He has stuck it out at Baylor because he knows the importance of what it means to build a good program and the amount of time and money to do so. I tell people all the time can you imagine where this program at LSU would be had we still had Saban . Grant it coordinators come and go and it's always good to change your defensive and offensive game plan but if Saban were still in Baton Rouge this football team would be light years ahead of where it is today. I know there aren't many Sabans out there but you get my drift. I compare the same to Dan Mullin at State and look at how long it took him to get where he's at and maybe that's the case for miles we may see the program become more consistent but I will not believe it until I see it. I just don't see it in his demeanor and I feel that he's pretty much comfortable on this cushion he's sitting on. If 8-4 is ok with you then Miles is the man you want to hire but not for 3.4 million annually.

8. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

The jury is still out on Sark but he was hardly "a guy from UDub." He left USC as an AHC and OC. Pete Carroll tried to get the admin to guarantee they would hire Sark when PC left. Dumbass hired LK but Sark eventually came home. He's from the area, he gives a non-scary soundbite when needed, and he won the team over after their heart hero Orgeron left under bad circumstances.

And if you hadn't noticed, Sark coached 5 of the guys just picked in the 1st round. I have no idea if he can coach a team to greatness but he can spot talent and coach it the hell up.

This is the problem for all big-time programs. Fans all want that home run and are rarely rewarded. Considering where they were, Harbaugh was it although I think he has a huge hill to climb and he's an asshole (which is okay). And to my point above, when Kiffin was hired, we couldn't get anyone else. Who the hell wanted to come to LA with a team just entering sanctions and still pressured to succeed? That pressure is what causes such movement among head coaches and an inability to create success. Add in the career job jumpers among the really good assistants and that formula is tough to create.

9. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

If Miles looses 5 games next season he will be on the hot seat, I have no doubt in my mind about that. But I believe he would have to follow that up with another 4 loss regular season & a bowl loss to be fired.

Heck I remember these exact same threads after we lost 5 a few years back but then Miles pretty much blew those thoughts out of the water with a few very good and great seasons. I'm hoping he does it again and really believe we only need good qb play for that to happen.

But he way, Miles didn't maintain Saban's program, he improved it IMO. Better records than Saban, better PR, better player relations and not near the end of season hysteria each of whether he was coming back except for when UM was in the market twice.

red55, LSUDad and Winston1 like this.
  10. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

Aleva. I'd fire him on principle, then send a message to the football team that won't be soon forgotten. Les is in a production year, so it's him or a coordinator (Cam?) to answer to 5 losses. But I don't see 5 losses. 4 would be a disappointment.

Steels defense did not impress during the spring game, but it is too soon to judge.

Last edited: May 7, 2015