And now some game questions:

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Rex, Oct 15, 2017.

1. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

Agree with all of this except the very end. Going for FG was, IMO, the best choice from an odds ratio standpoint to win the game.

GiantDuckFan, COTiger and Atreus21 like this.
  2. Atreus21

Atreus21 Founding Member

You'd say that if we lost the game, or if the kick had missed?

LSU_4_LIFE likes this.
  3. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

Well, I was nervous about that possibility, too. I thought it was the right decision, and was mentally preparing for either outcome. At that point, we still had time to make a stop and get the ball back for another shot.

gynojunkie and lsu-i-like like this.
  4. Atreus21

Atreus21 Founding Member

Yeah.

For myself, when the entire game hinges on one play, it's hard to blame the coach no matter what happens, outright of something truly stupid.

I remember the 2011 bama game vividly, when Saban kept trying to force his kicker to make 50 yarders, or near-50 yarders, instead of punting. Just dumb.

LSU_4_LIFE and ParadiseiNC like this.
  5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Under normal circumstances if you are behind you kick the FG to take the lead even if you want to kill more clock before you score. As shaky as LSU's placekickers have been this season and with only inches for a first down I probably would have gone for it. If the kicker had been money all season I would kick it in that situation every time.. You don't want to pass up a chance to take the lead.

6. dachsie

dachsie Veteran Member

The way O talked about the kickers a few weeks ago, we are damned lucky he made it

7. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

Anybody catch the Barner leaping over the pile on I think the last EP. It was clear as day. No flag...

8. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

Sometimes a swift kick in the ass or a nasty ass chewing helps improve performance. I speak from experience from the leather helmet days. IconLOL.gif

9. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Agreed. The way I looked at it, the defense was on point in the 2nd half. I figure Oeaux and company were comfortable trusting in the defense's ability to stop Auburn.

stevescookin likes this.
  10. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

If the kick was missed you look at the 3 previous plays leading up to the fg attempt. I think they played for the fg before 4th down. That I don't agree with. It worked out but the last thing you want is to give Auburn the ball with over 2 minutes and all 3 timeouts being they have a kicker who is money from anywhere in the stadium. I thought the playcalling on those 3 downs was too conservative, but on 4th you have no choice. Down 1 you kick a fg and take the points.