Am I a hypocrite?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Sourdoughman, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Let me first tell you where I sit before I tell you where I stand.
    I think most of you know this but in case some one doesn't.
    I've been thinking about Euthanasia and these kind of issues off and on since
    the Terri Shiavo case.

I am against the legalization of Euthanasia and I think we have to be very
    careful about making life and death decisions but I'm for Bad individuals and
    monsters being put out of their misery.
    People who are responsible for murder, rape, violent sexual predators.
    If its in question at all, evidence wise, I wouldn't think they could be convicted of the crime?

I strongly believe that the judicial system and the criminal justice system is so overburdened and the jails are so over crowded that it has let us down.
    Repeat offenders are now let out of prison and commit crimes everyday, pedophiles, violent offenders.
    Something is definitely broken and needs to be addressed with all of these
    repeat offenders out on the streets.
    There is no longer any such thing as rehabilitation, criminals now go to jail
    and learn how to commit more crimes?

Why do states bother and have a death row when 1 person or less has been
    put to death every year?
    Scott Peterson for instance, Just the stigma?
    Chances are he will die in prison of old age before he will ever be put down.

The way I see it we either need to spend money on more prisons or make tougher penalties for crime, maybe the rules of the game just aren't strong enough, just maybe crime does pay?
    The rules on sex offenders and registration is a joke!

2. CParso

CParso Founding Member

I'd say it's a little hypocritical. How can you be pro-death penalty and believe in the sactity of life? How can you be anti-euthenasia to put someone out of their misery and let them move onto a better place if you don't believe in the sactity of life?

The circumstances are a technicallity. Philosophically, it seems that you should be one way or the other.

3. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

Easy answer. I don't believe that is up to you or I to decide when we are done living. I do however believe that the state can decide that an extremely violent offender is done living, however ;)

The bottom line is this:

Each of us has a right to life. Nobody can take that away from us, !including ourselves! until --

1) it is proven that conscious and mental life has already been lost (Schiavo was clinically brain dead according to over 150 examinations)

2) it is proven in a court of law that we have taken away others' said right.

Nope.

4. tntiger6

tntiger6 Freshman

No, SD, I don't see hypocracy in your position. A hypoctite says one thing and does another.
    This is an issue that is deeply personal and has conflicting angles. Like many things in life, there is no black and white--only alot of gray in many differant shades.
    I believe government has the right to enforce the death penalty, but I know a jury can be persuaded to convict an innocent person. I believe caution should be used to ensure that no innocent person is executed. That means access to appeals that delay the process, better that than a mistake be made.

:cool: :cool:

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

What you describe is not hypocracy, but mixed feelings. Most of us have mixed feelings about topics like this, I think.

Personally, I think there is a big difference between euthanasia and execution. I am in favor of both, but I have mixed feelings about both and I think it is vitally important that neither be performed in undue haste or with lingering doubts because the decision is final.

6. Mystikalilusion

Mystikalilusion Founding Member

Speaking of death penalties, I just learned that Texas has never had "life without parole" as a sentencing option.

Well, darn, no wonder so many executions in Texas if the only options for killers, etc. are "death penalty" or "life sentence, with possibility of parole".

What a dumb state. . .

7. mesquite tiger

mesquite tiger Diabolical Genius

I don't know that you can call Texas a dumb state seeing how they actually carry thru with many of the death penalties handed down...unlike most other states in the union.

Texas may not give Life without parole, but to get around that they stack life sentences on top of each other. it is not uncommon in Texas to see someone with 5-10 life sentences to be served...meaning they are in prison for life with no chance of parole since the erliest they could get a parole hearing is like after 100 years or so of hard time.

I personally think we are too kind to prisoners with this injection stuff. the chair was the way to go..make themn suffer for the pain they have caused to others.

the death penalty is way different then euthenasia in that the death penalty is a punishment which is honestly an acceptable way of dealing with the baddest of the bad. euthenasia is more of a mercy killing to end the suffering of another....there are big ethical differences between the two in my opinion, and euthenasia should be legal if it is the wish of the dying person (and they are of sound mind and body).

8. Indiana Tiger

Indiana Tiger Founding Member

There is no perfectly infallible system of justice. To be a death penalty advocate is to accept the fact that innocent people will be put to death. To assume perfection and to not care whether or not the system actually performs at a high standard is hypocritical imo. For the record, I am for euthanasia, but the process must have very high standards to minimize the occurrence of the inevitable mistake. Likewise I support the death penalty, but the current system is woefully inadequate to meet my standard of care in many cases.

9. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

To answer the question, if you're basing your belief structure on Christianity, I tend to think you're a hypocrite. The ultimate question is whether man should have the right to take anyone's life, whether it is his own or someone else's, or if only God can make that ultimate decision.

If your belief structure is based more on secular thought, I do not see a conflict.

I'm staunchly opposed to the death penalty and am still undecided on euthanasia (too many unanswered questions, in my mind anyway, about how to define it.)

Just my humble opinion, that could be WAY off base.

10. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

First of all I didn't say that I did not care about whether the system was perfect or not, I don't want innocent people to die or be put to death.
    I just don't see people being put on death row if there is any question at all
    about someone, evidence questionable or in doubt.
    I do think the judiciary and the criminal justice system is a joke and I will agree with you on the death penalty and do think the system is inadequate.

You say you are for Euthanasia well, Are you for the legalization of Euthanasia?