Alabama's Nick Saban: CFB Is Not 'Sustainable' with Transfer Portal, NIL Contracts

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Hou-duco, Apr 13, 2022.

1. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

dosent sound that sad to pay players to go to school and win titles instead of them bein pros that dont get educations

2. CagedTiger

CagedTiger Freshman

I totally forgot about baseball. Every year the top HS baseball players usually jump immediately to the major leagues because the money is so good, but NIL could really slow that trend down because they might be able to make the same amount or even more money by going to college.

Jmg likes this.
  3. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

I don't know man, I guess my take is that it's corrupt either way. Maybe it always has been about who pays their athletes the most (which I agree it has). With NIL it's no different they will be doing the same shit except blatantly doing it in everyone's face and honestly it just makes it suck even worse in my opinion. I'd prefer it stay in back room deals, but such are the times in which we live. Anything and everything for the all mighty dolla'... all else be damned.

4. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

i dunno how any of this hurts the product on the field

5. CagedTiger

CagedTiger Freshman

It will be interesting to look back in 5 or 10 years from now and see what impact NIL really had with all collegiate sports. If things continue to go in the same direction, I could see several players making more money off NIL deals than their HC, which is mindboggling. At some point, you would think something has to slow down this runaway train, or is it too late for that?

6. BornOnTheBayou

BornOnTheBayou 2022 Masters Pick 'Em Champion

7. CagedTiger

CagedTiger Freshman

Thanks for posting. Very interesting. I found it almost comical that the NCAA is urging legislators to come up with a national NIL law, so all states operate under the same rules. It seems like maybe that should have been done before it opened up this can of worms. It was also interesting to learn that players and colleges can strike joint NIL deals, which I thought was a no-no. Based on what I read, there are a few rules, but essentially it's the wild, wild west out there!

Hou-duco likes this.
  8. Hou-duco

Hou-duco Founding Member

The average NIL $ mentioned for football (and all other sports as well) was much lower than I expected, but the article was published early last year before the signing date. I would love to see an update. I am sure that A&M, Tx, and Bama blew way past that value.

9. CagedTiger

CagedTiger Freshman

I just read that a Kentucky basketball player, who was the national player of the year, has decided to return to Kentucky next year and is estimated to make over $2 million from NIL deals. Insane!