Alabama @ LSU will be a night game in Tiger Stadium

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by MobileBengal, Oct 24, 2022.

1. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

We do blind test all of the time. It is amazing how your sense react when you don't know what it is. We've had a $25 dollar bottle win over much more expensive stuff more than once. Basil Hayden's loses almost anytime it is in the lineup.

2. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

Basil has a bit more rye (pepper note) in it than most. Guessing thats why you dont like. Makes for a nice change of pace in rotation. There was a time when you could score Bookers for round $70, well worth it. Still really good for $100+ but yeah more occasional. Bakers is pretty good and still in that $50-70 territory. Knob is a bit harsh but Knob9 in an OldFash is bees knees.

Theres actually a Basil Rye now that is actually more like a Manhantan with rye. Also good change pace.

3. shane0911

Try The Russell's reserve single barrel. It's 110 proof but oh so good

TigerSnarl likes this.
  4. Hou-duco

Hou-duco Founding Member

Woodford Rye or 13th Colony Rye for me.

shane0911 likes this.
  5. furduknfish

Have had quite a few Russells and Elijah Craig varieties but never really blew up my skirt.

Stumbled upon an Iowa distillery at liquor depot a while back, Cedar Ridge. Some interesting stuff. Their bourbon was OK, rye was good, wheat whiskey was sweet but good, malted rye really good, and single malt whiskey very good. All for under $25.

20210812_203039.jpg

Last edited: Oct 29, 2022
  6. furduknfish

Buillet rye (green label) is actually surprisingly good/smooth and not as peppery for $25ish

7. BornOnTheBayou

BornOnTheBayou 2022 Masters Pick 'Em Champion

When I was a kid growing up, my Dad usually had a bottle of Old Crow laying around the house. I would occasionally sneak a sip or two. I guess that's why I never acquired a taste or a liking for Kentucky bourbon. IconLOL.gif

8. CagedTiger

CagedTiger Freshman

OMG, I never thought I would hear the words Old Crow again. Do they still make that crap? In HS, over 30 years ago, I was on a church trip to Disney World (about 100 kids) and rooming with my best buds. First night, we drank all of our liquor and had to beg a chaperone, who had just turned 21, to buy us some cheap liquor and Old Crow was it. First night I stayed up the latest and put toothpaste all over them and when it dried it left a bad burning sensation, so naturally I was the target the second night. I end up passing out on Old Crow and my buddies decided to put me fully clothed into the shower as revenge, but I slipped and shattered the porcelain soap dish with my head and had to be rushed to the hospital.

They paramedics informed my buds and the chaperones that they would not give me any anesthesia because it would kill me due to the large amount of alcohol I had consumed. Woke up in the hospital with an elderly doctor holding my hand and I thought I was in a dream. He informed me that everything probably seemed very confusing, but that I was probably the luckiest man on the face of this earth. At that point, I quickly realized that I was not dreaming and my parents were going to kill me. The doctor said that twice I almost went into a coma and that I was lucky to be alive. Needless to say, I was a complete DA in high school and cost my parents a lot of money and was basically put on six months house arrest! I was enjoying reading about everyone's liquor reviews, but I never thought someone would bring up Old Crow. I think if I saw a bottle of Old Crow today, I might vomit on the spot. Do they still make that crap?

9. shane0911

Just picked this up, will give my report upon tasting.

Attached Files:

10. BornOnTheBayou

BornOnTheBayou 2022 Masters Pick 'Em Champion

I wouldn't know. It's been 50+ years since I've tasted it.