Abita Springs cafe is moving soon.

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by stevescookin, Mar 17, 2012.

1. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

Speaking of staying up at night...

In graduate school, I learned about a famous Dutch ichthyologist named Peter Artedi. He had a daily routine of waking up after lunch and beginning his work late in the day. After he finished working, around 10:00 pm, he'd go out and drink in the bars of Holland all night long, then stumble home drunk around dawn, wake up in the afternoon and do it all over again.

Well, one day he couldn't wake up and go to work because he stumbled drunk into one of those drainage canals that Holland is famous for and drowned.

He was brilliant and his work is studied to this day. I am one of the few that gets past this historical information and actually wonders what it would have been like hanging out in the bars with him. I bet he was a real character. :cool:

2. b_leblanc

b_leblanc That's just my game...

You definitely sound like you have the grit for it, amigo. Congratulations breaux, I hope your project is off and running soon. Hopefully I'll be able to swing in there someday and spend some cash.

I wanted to open a small cafe of my own about 4 years ago but I couldn't secure a loan. Kind of glad because I slowly started to realize how much of an undertaking I was actually going to have to deal with and I realized that at that age, I was in over my head. Sucks too, cause that was my passion.

Funny thing, when I graduated high school, they voted me most likely to move back to Louisiana to be a cajun chef. lol That shit still ain't happened. :p

3. stevescookin

It still can.

I was a fish biologist before I got back into cooking. I had been a line cook when I was in college. When I decided to go back into cooking I was around 40. (I'm 57 now).

4. b_leblanc

Maybe. Everything I know is pretty much self-taught, which isn't very much, other than the few line cook jobs I had in past years. I wouldn't know where to begin.

5. b_leblanc

So how much longer are you looking at before you're able to open the doors?

6. stevescookin

Probably 2 months. I'll know more in a week or so. Now we have to get things rolling on the loan front.

7. b_leblanc

Nice. Good luck with it bro. I'll definitely look it up next time I'm in NOLA.

I may have to go to Magazine St. for a softshell crab poboy though. lol

8. Brian

Brian Founding Member

How is the progress going, Steve? I'm anxious to drop in and check out your place. I'm stoked you'll be in NOLA!

9. stevescookin

I am in the middle of loan approval and the waiting game is frustrating. I wish I was the only one seeking an SBA loan, but there's a big stack. Once the loan is approved, I hope construction is quick.

So I'm slowly making progress. I have an appointment soon with the SBA and my accountant. He is optimistic, but loans take a lot of work...a lot of back and forth.

10. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

Man, I am sorry I missed getting down, seeing the old place, and you, was on my list of things to do...along with Tiger Stadium, once in my life.

Sounds like thing are moving along, though slowly. Keep on keeping on. Stay positive and focused. Good Luck.

HWR