Abita Springs cafe is moving soon.

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by stevescookin, Mar 17, 2012.

1. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

I haven't posted in this section for a while....sorry for being delinquent, but I have some news about the cafe.

At the end of April, my lease is up and I have not been able to re negotiate it successfully. so.....

The Abita Springs cafe is moving to New Orleans.

I've signed a lease for 3865 Gentilly Boulevard in the Gentilly Terrace neighborhood, which is coming back strongly from Katrina. The neighborhood is home to UNO, Dillard, and the Baptist Theological Seminary as well as a branch of William Carey college.

Holy Cross high school just relocated to Gentilly after Katrina and Brother Martin High School is in the neighborhood too. Gentilly Terrace itself is a low crime neighborhood that is adjacent to Lakeview.

The New Orleans council person, Cynthia Hedge Morrel, has been wonderful in helping me relocate. Her Assistant responsible for economic development, Tina Metoyer, has been superb...I can't say enough good things about her and that office. They are facilitating the process.

You hear about New Orleans politics and there's a huge negative reputation, but post Katrina...it's a new ball game there.

I'll use this thread to update everyone on the process of starting up a restaurant and building out a new location in case anyone is interested.

2. stevescookin

For a taste of this historic neighborhood...here's a link to the neighborhood association web page and it has pictures of typical houses there.

Gentilly Terrace & Gardens Improvement Association

My new location is in the old McCune's pharmacy right next to the old Gentilly Theater where Gentilly boulevard turns into Chef Menteur highway...for those familiar with the neighborhood.

By the way, For those familiar with Covington's own Walker Percy; the protagonist in "The Moviegoer" went to the movies at the Gentilly Theater.

From wikkipedia:

The Moviegoer tells the story of Binx Bolling, a young stock-broker in postwar [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Orleans"]New Orleans[/ame]. The decline of southern U.S. tradition, the problems of his family and his traumatic experiences in the [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_War"]Korean War[/ame] have left him alienated from his own life. He day-dreams constantly, has trouble engaging in lasting relationships and finds more meaning and immediacy in movies and books than in his own routine life.
    The loose plot of the novel follows Binx as he embarks on an undefined "search," wandering around New Orleans, Chicago and the Gulf Coast reflecting philosophically on small episodes and interactions. He is constantly challenged to define himself in relation to friends, family, sweet-hearts and career despite his urge to remain vague and open to possibility.
    "What is the nature of the search? you ask. Really it is very simple; at least for a fellow like me. So simple that it is easily overlooked. The search is what anyone would undertake if he were not sunk in the everydayness of his own life."
    The novel is heavily influenced by the [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Existentialism"]existentialist[/ame] themes of authors like Søren Kierkegaard, whom Percy read extensively. Unlike many dark didactic existentialist novels (including Percy's later work), The Moviegoer has a light poetic tone. It was Percy's first, most famous, and most widely praised novel.

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Moviegoer[/ame]

3. stevescookin

4. stevescookin

I have architectural drawings for the buildout and I have to contact the office to get a building permit for the entire project.

I need to knock down a wall in the future kitchen and it is probably a load bearing wall (depending on which way the beams and the floor planks above run). I also have to run 200 amp service to the kitchen because there's only 100 amp service currently...it supplies the lights and outlets currently there. so I have a lot of electrical work that needs to be done. I also have some plumbing work that needs to be done to connect the dishwasher i have, in-line grease trap under the 3 compartment sink, install a hot water heater, etc.

I also have to find and install a hood with all the fire suppression apparati.

Then I have to build out the service counters in the front part, and some fixed counter seating as well as all the shelving etc.

I'm also building out a front deck for outdoor seating and a handicap access ramp. I also have to move an existing wall of a bathroom out about a foot in order to make a handicap bathroom.

But next week, I am installing a state of the art alarm system with eight cameras ( high density, night vision) motion detectors glass breaking detectors...so I can keep tools and equipment there before it's installed.

That's a lot of work...I need to apply for a SBDC micro loan to reimburse family that's helping with interim start up financing.

5. stevescookin

On the political front, I have an appointment next week with the city councilman whose district the new cafe will be in. I have to tread lightly here because I do not want to disrespect the council person by not including them in at the very beginning. We then all have to go to the neighborhood association meeting to answer questions that they may have concerning parking, hours of operation, liquor licenses etc.

That should be no problem because I'm NOT going to have a bar, with loitering drunks, noise etc. All I want is a beer and wine license so someone can have a beer with their lunch. At first I'm going to just do breakfast and lunch like I do now, but I eventually plan to add dinner as well.

Breakfast and lunch will be by counter service and Sunday brunch and dinner wil be table service with wait staff.

6. stevescookin

I met with the building inspector for the city of New Orleans. He happened to eat at the cafe in Abita and over heard me telling another customer that the next step was to meet with the building inspector...he said.."That happens to be me !!" So he invited me to sit down with him and his wife at breakfast and we went over the build out plans informally. He's on board with everything we went over and will be easy to work with. I now have a building permit as of today.

The next step is to meet with the Gentilly Terrace and Garden neighborhood association to address any concerns they may have concerning parking, noise etc. I'm not planning on having a liquor license and a bar there so it should be OK. I just want a beer and wine license so someone can have a beer with their po boy.

Also, I went to high school with the president of the association...so I don't foresee any problems there.

The alarm system is scheduled to go in this week so materials and tools can be secured at the site.

7. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

Congratulations on the new space and good luck with everything. The good news for me is that I am way more likely to make to your new location in new Orleans.

8. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

I know moving is a pain but best wishes and I hope you end up being even happier.

9. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

Let me know when you open your doors. I will DEFINITELY come see you. I know right where you are right on Chef.

Good luck with everything, man.

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I'm sure it is all a pain in the ass to move, but at least I should be able to drop in some day. Abita Springs just wasn't on the way to anywhere I go. But I do get to NOLA from time to time.