A post-season reflection

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Tiger420, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Tiger420

Tiger420 Sell crazy someplace else, all stocked up here.

Like it or not, the true measure of a successful collegiate athletic program is not on the field. It is not in the number of trophies in the case. It is not in the number of weeks you spent in the top 10. It is not final standings, points scored or player rankings. These are narrow and fairly meaningless measurements in the much broader game of life.

Like it or not, football is but a tiny speck in the great realm of this world in which we live.
    The true measure of success is the impact of the experience on the world around us through the lives of the men and women who went through the program. It’s that whole “leave the world a better place than how you found it” thing. It’s having a positive impact on the lives of those who placed their trust in the University, the Coaches and the System.

“To know that one life has breathed a little easier because you have lived …”

Often we get caught up in the hype and circumstance. We shift our values away from what we know to be true and right to something that is temporary and ultimately unfulfilling. We value something so short lived and insignificant to the world around us. Once you have held that trophy in your hands, what’s next? You caught the rabbit but now you need another one and another one. You filled the case but did you fill your life?

What if we measured by a different scale? What if championships were awarded based on things like contributions to society, leaders developed and academic achievement? What if our values extended far beyond the empty calories afforded by a trophy? What if we moved beyond success to significance and in the process completely reshaped the way we view the world? What if we measured by how many students rose above and had a positive impact on the world and people around us?

There has been a lot of chatter and judgment of our coaches and our program as can be expected at the end of season. If you stop and think about it, LSU Athletics is in pretty good shape. Graduation rates are up. Students are coming through the programs, gaining an education and a degree. They are developing valuable skills that will provide them the means to achieve their dreams and have a positive and lasting impact on the world.

Break down the limits of your measurements and consider them against this incredible world in which we live.

A trophy will gather dust, it will tarnish over time but a legacy will shine on endlessly. Our coach has shown a dedication to those things in this life that are truly important. He places importance on concepts like people, well-being, education and family. He does so in the face of tremendous and unending judgment. For that he deserves great respect. When measured by what is truly significant in this world he does a pretty good job. Think of his legacy when this is done. Think of the impact he will have on this world through the fine people he has coached and mentored.

What if you changed your measurements and focused on making a positive difference in the lives of others? What if you changed the way you viewed the world and what is truly important?

Geaux Tigers!!
    Every one of us!

ParadiseiNC, TerryP, cajdav1 and 3 others like this.
  2. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

3. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

That's all fine and dandy nominate him for a Nobel Prize or something... but he isn't paid over $4M a year to graduate student athletes, he's paid handsomely to win championships... as of right now i'd settle for a bowl win.

Richdog and shane0911 like this.
  4. Kal-El012

Kal-El012 Founding Member

Smoke a lil dank, sip a lil drank.

5. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Not worried about bowls, he won the sec last year and hopefully eat won a few more on the next several seasons. I think we will although it is going to be very tough with the teams in this league. To me it is all about the sec west and then the sec. I believe in this program, both in the classroom and on the field.

6. Kal-El012

Kal-El012 Founding Member

Not worried about bowls? Really? You're kidding right?

7. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

Winning Peach Bowls is all fine and dandy, but not nearly as significant as winning an SEC championship, which we are 1 year removed from.

8. TCUTiger

TCUTiger Founding Member

If things don't change in 2013.............it WILL BE 2 years, and counting.:) What is it the Mexicans say..............there will be no way Joe Say.

Richdog likes this.
  9. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

Things change every year - sometimes for better, sometimes for worse. If you turn out to be right, I invite you to come back and pound your chest in prognostic victory. Until then, I will assume that LSU will contend for the SEC and national championship, as they have done 6 out of the 8 years Les Miles has been the coach.

10. TCUTiger

TCUTiger Founding Member

If you can't see the obvious...........I, nor anyone, else can help you. Perhaps you can send your comments to Detillier and he will change his mind too! BTW, are you some kind of used car salesman?? In checking SEC Championship game history under Miles I see 2 wins and 1 loss..............surely you don't mean that we are "competing" for SEC and certainly National Championships when LSU finishes 2nd or worse in their division???? Maybe my "standard" is a teenie weenie bit highter than yours............if we don't play in the SEC CG, we are not competing for the Conf Championship and as such certainly not the NC, ONLY Alabama gets to do that.

Richdog and COTiger like this.