A moment of parental bragging, if I may....

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by mctiger, Oct 10, 2012.

1. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Today its the Atlanta Erg Sprints at Georgia Tech. Erg is the mechanical rowing machines used for training, but there are a lot of erg competitions held this time of year due to the cold weather. Anyway, Anthony competed against 55 other novices in the 2k sprint. He won his heat and finished 13th overall, breaking the 7:00 mark for the first time with a 6:57. Winning time was a 6:30.

LSUDad likes this.
  2. mctiger

Photo from Atlanta, Anthony is top right.

[​IMG]

LSUDad, LSUTiga and Winston1 like this.
  3. mctiger

Regatta time again. This weekend the Northwestern State crew travels to Gainesville, GA for the John Hunter Regatta. What a change in venue; three weeks ago, the Demons scrimmaged Tulane on the Orleans Ave. Canal. This week, they row the '96 Olympics venue. Huge event; in the college novice 8-man, for example, they'll be taking on LSU, Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, Duke, GT, Florida St., North Carolina St, Georgia, Illinois, Vanderbilt and about a half dozen smaller schools. I expect Anthony will row this race, novice 4, and varsity 8 again. Below: the Olympics control tower at Lake Lanier:

[​IMG]

LSUDad and KyleK like this.
  4. mctiger

This weekend, the Southeastern Intercollegiate Rowing Association (SIRA) Championships in Oak Ridge, TN. More than 50 colleges will be there, including LSU. Northwestern is sending a small group, and my son will only row once, in the 4-man varsity open (as opposed to lightweight) division. There are 35 colleges entered in the division, including 'Bama, Florida, GaTech, Vanderbilt, Notre Dame, TAMU, Clemson, Purdue, North Carolina, and Virginia Tech. It will be Anthony's first time in varsity 4, and he's pretty pumped for it.

LSUDad and KyleK like this.
  5. gyver

gyver Rely on yourself not on others.

Row row row your boat haul ass down the stream. Merrily merrily my arms are heavy but I do it for the teammmm!

Way to go McTiger jr!
    Congrats to you dad!

LSUDad likes this.
  6. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

I didn't realize rowing was so technical but I should have figured. Neat that there are mechanical rowing machines.

7. mctiger

Thanks. I'm learning about rowing myself, thanks to him. I've learned if your arms are tired, you're doing it wrong. Rowing in a racing scull is done more with the legs than the arms.

LSUDad likes this.
  8. gyver

gyver Rely on yourself not on others.

I rowed across lake otay in San Diego with some navy friends. We were to up from the flo up. I'm not sure how wide the lake is. But I know we rowed it twice as long. Lol!

9. mctiger

Live on youtube.com/user/usrowingorg. My son's heat is about 10:45-10:50

LSUDad likes this.
  10. mctiger

The spring season has begun! This morning at the Tennessee Indoor Sprints in Chatanooga (computerized rowing machines), Northwestern mixed 8 got the gold! My son's second gold this year; they won, also in mixed 8, in Austin last fall.

The team has a busy schedule this spring, including the Baton Rouge Rowing Association's Reaux Regatta, April 4-5 on the University Lakes.

red55 and LSUDad like this.