A&M offering Chavis?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUpride123, Dec 21, 2014.

1. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

DO NOT CRITICIZE THE COACHES!!!!!

Rouxleaux and ThePhenom74 like this.
  2. Atreus21

Atreus21 Founding Member

Uh, we held them to something around zero first downs for the entire second half until their final drive. That's an O problem.

3. ThePhenom74

ThePhenom74 Founding Member

Agreed, in part that is an O problem. However if you dominate a team with a defensive scheme then go uber conservative and you lose the game you have to put some blame on the DC. Especially when that same situation played out for several losses.

4. Atreus21

Atreus21 Founding Member

When the D repeatedly creates opportunities that the O utterly squanders, I can forgive the D finally collapsing after such a stalwart performance.

5. ThePhenom74

ThePhenom74 Founding Member

I can not dispute that fact. Although that was the case in one game. The other games were not the case of the O squandering opportunities. It was a case of conservative D losing the game.

6. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

So it's beyond the realm of possibility that the call was the right call, but a player missed an assignment, or a read?

I understand the skepticism and criticism of the passing game. It's warranted. Even people in the media are starting to say that Miles and company have no clue what they are doing when it comes to the quarterback position. I am however pretty sure John Chavis knows what he is doing.

LSUDad likes this.
  7. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

I am pretty sure 3rd and Chavis was coined before he stepped foot in BRLA, and I'm pretty sure it's reared its head more than once or twice since then

Rouxleaux, shane0911 and ParadiseiNC like this.
  8. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Here's where I get a little lost.

On that last drive to tie the game there were two incomplete passes. The defensive back broke up one play, Coop dropped the pass on the other. A pass in front of the defenders, mind you, which is the main core of a prevent.

There were two short passing plays that resulted in short gains. Both to a tight end, both for 6-7 yards. Both times the defense was in prevent.

*Pardon the interruption: The prevent is designed to prevent long passes, right? So, by definition and assigment, both times the prevent worked.

Sims ran for a first down after being forced out of the pocket by a blitzer and there were no receivers open. Again, the prevent worked. Against AJ, Greg, you name the QB...that defense would have prevented a first. That first down was all Blake. The only other QB in the SECW that may have been able to get that yardage is Dak. There were at least three defenders that had a shot at tackling him, and missed their tackles.

2.png

You see the time, down, and distance. Rushing four defenders (again, prevent) but the receivers are covered and the QB is forced from the pocket. Slot receivers realizes the QB is pressured and comes back for the ball, makes the catch for a 22 yard gain and another first down.

QB and WR made a play. It happens. (notice that's Jalen...good in coverage, just beaten.)
    2.png

Here's the play that set up the field goal. It's not prevent...as far from being prevent as you can get. The receiver is coming out of the slot. (just above the 10, in 2nd and 10.)

2.png

It's a blown assignment with the defensive backs playing zone.

2.png

It's interesting to me that a reference is made to playing Ole Miss aggressive, but not playing Bama aggressive. People are blaming this on scheme, but that scheme worked. When the prevent didn't (on the 22 yard gain with Jones catching the low pass) it was players making plays on offense. It happens.

The interception thrown by Bo Wallace that sealed the game this season? The scheme practically mirrors the one that set Bama's field goal. Again, the defensive backs were playing a zone.

Blaming that last play on prevent? Misplaced blame.

red55 likes this.
  9. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Quit making sense dude, that shit doesn't fly here.

titoabad1 and LSUDad like this.
  10. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Jimmy Sexton doing his job...circulating word that Pruitt is interested in A&M.

UGA going to cough up the dough on another Sexton move? Losing BoBo may create the ideal environment.

LSUDad likes this.