A glimpse into an Obama victory and Liberal control of the 3 branches. Frightening!

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by Andouille, Oct 17, 2008.

1. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

Re: A glimpse into an Obama victory and Liberal control of the 3 branches. Frightenin

Well, as it was stated before, Bush hasn't been a republican in a long time. Even democrats would have to admit his recent policies have become more centrist over his presidency and most republicans would argue a lot of his policies have broken from the republican ideology.

The new situation is with strong left wing ideology in both Obama and Pelosi and to a lesser extent Harry Reid.

As an independent/moderate, voting for obama seems to put a strong left leaning government into place.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Re: A glimpse into an Obama victory and Liberal control of the 3 branches. Frightenin

Tell us what you think, not what I think. And you aren't very perceptive. I'm for adequate government and adequate taxes. I'm for balance between spending and income. I'm against borrowing money to pay for deficit spending. I think tax cuts that don't come with spending cuts are irresponsible.

3. red55

What a crock! Bush is a lifelong Republican and still is. He is not only a member of the Republican party, he is still its leader.

Examples?

Campaign rhetoric. Republicans have supported him vote after vote after vote . . .

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uThoBMfcFRc&feature=related[/media]

It will be closer to the center than the Government it replaces. This is why Obama has won the independent moderates.

4. mobius481

If you had the choice between cutting spending to match taxes or raising taxes to match spending, which do you prefer? Let's use current spending/tax model as the baseline.

To answer my own question, I think we need to cut spending right now. I don't think taxes need to go up. We need to increase accountability in our government departments and come with new ideas to do that. Perhaps bonuses for your department if it can cut costs and hit other goals. Very similar to a business. Why is this not pushed?

5. red55

I think it will take both. The waste has to be eliminated and the "would be nice" stuff has to be eliminated. But there remains a lot to be paid for that is essential. If the budget is to be balanced, people will have to decide between unsavory tax increases or unsavory program cuts to vital areas like defense, social security, medicare, transportation, etc. I think they will have to accept both--reasonable tax increases to fund smaller programs at a reasonable level to balance the budget.

Sounds good to me.

6. mobius481

Bush's approval rating amongst republicans has probably bottomed out. The only people who still approve are the ones who will approve to the end no matter what. Just because he is the "leader" of the republican party doesn't mean that party is happy with their leader right now.

Immigration reform act of 2007, and yes I know John McCain co-authored that bill. Fortunately with everything going on, he hasn't gotten crushed by conservatives on that. His budgets and spending have ballooned out of control. Tax and spend is more of a liberal characteristic and certainly not a conservative one. Even increased foreign aid in an effort to make the world more prosperous thus safer, much of which goes to nations supporting our enemies.

Well then fair enough, not only is the president closer to center than Obama, but so to are the republican congressmen. I know you don't believe that just because congress votes along party lines, that they agree with everything they vote for. Not to mention, the entire party is lost as the dems were 4-8 years ago.

7. red55

I realize that many republicans aren't happy with Bush, but he IS a Republican, they can't disavow him, and they did and DO support his policies anyway.

The "tax and spend" democrats were wasteful, but republican "spend and borrow" policies are fiscally irresponsible and to blame for our $10 Trillion debt. Such irresponsible over-borrowing is to blame for the mortgage and credit crisis as well.

8. Andouille

Andouille Guest

What a lawyer. You know what he meant when he said Bush isn't a Republican.

Bush's failure over the last 8 years can be attributed to the fact that he spurned classic Republican ideals for liberal, big government policies in the hopes that it would somehow curry favor with the Left elite in politics, business and media. He learned like his daddy did that no matter how many big government policies a Republican embraces, it never works. It only pisses off the base.

The Republican party has been taken over by east coast Republicans who have no interest in small government.

9. kcal

kcal Founding Member

but sadly he became a moderate republican, leaving behind those conservatives who voted him into office and voted to keep kerry out 4 years later.

10. red55

One is either accurate or he's not. Republicans try to openly distance themselves from Bush with one hand while they openly embrace him with the other.

You have got to be kidding! :huh: :insane: :lol: In what alternate universe does Bush "spurn" Republicans to curry favor with the evil leftist Democrats. McCain voted with Bush policies 90% and will continue to.

We deserve better. Enough is enough.