8/6 Republican Presidential Debate

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LSUTiga, Aug 5, 2015.

1. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Like I have pointed out.....So far the idea of it has been bastardized and changed by politics and greed. There were no psychologists or people who understand childhood brain development to participate in the setting of these standards. One method for all just doesn't work. It was rolled out prematurely and poorly. Tests, test results, and standards continue to be manipulated
    by districts to keep their RTTF.

I never suggested status quo but this shit right now, is not working.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Are you quite sure about that? Source?

It does not offer methods, it offers standards, allows flexibility with high-achievers and special ed, and it does not mandate curriculums.

An opinion not shared by all.

That is a problem with the districts, obviously. Standards hep identify poorly performing school districts so that they can get more help or to get rid of manipulative practitioners.

Well 45 states are going to give it a go and find out. Doing nothing will achieve nothing.

3. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

@red55 Its too tiresome to hash every point but let me summarize this for you. I'm not saying that national standards as a concept are wrong. I don't like it IF it tries to impose a syllabus on what to teach, how to teach and when to teach. Frankly I'm not a fan of teaching to pass a test either.

What you didn't answer was how does the current plan address the differences I pointed out above? What does it do to the systems that are high achievers using other methods? You quoted that common core was intended to raise the bottom half; a notable goal. I have 2 questions first what does it do to the top 10%? Second what does that do to those formally poor performing districts like the New Orleans charter schools after Katrina and the Harlem schools that have been given awards for turning performance around? You mentioned those that may fail but what about those that succeed yet don't follow the program?
    To me the first and greatest duty a teacher has to his/her students is to instill a thirst for knowledge and learning. Is that an ideal that isn't reached often enough? Yes the more to our detriment. However a student with that thirst will learn more faster and better than one without. Does the current version of Common Core allow for those differences?

Again I'm treating you just as you treat so many. If you can't take it don't dish it out.

4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

so we should scrap it because some people don't like it, what about the kids and parents that do like it? Just say fuck them because there are people who don't get it?

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Yeah, yeah, he can dish it out but he can't take it, see, He's all washed up, see. Mother of Mercy, could this be the end of red.

6. red55

But common core does not impose a curriculum, so we agree. Can we move on?

It does nothing. As indicated above, it does not try to impose a standard curriculum and it it realizes that local schools must make adjustments for low and high achievers among other things. Can we dispose of this myth that Common Core is about a federally mandated one-size-fits all course of instruction? It is not. It is a federal standard that states can adopt or not. You can learn a lot about it by going to its website or even to Wikipedia.

Well they will not have any trouble with the standards will they? Common Core does not force anybody to dumb down the work. High achievers can be offered al they can handle. And once again . . . it does not impose a curriculum! Successful programs don't have to change the way they teach by adopting better standards.

Absolutely. I encourage you to check it out.

I can take it fine, Tex. Not sure why you were so snarky when I agreed with a good post but had some questions about it.

7. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...-of-common-core-on-early-childhood-education/

My use of the word method in that instance was referring to CC in a general sense.

An opinion shared by a vast number of parents, teachers, and even some of those who originally wrote the standards. So you mean to suggest that we should just turn a deaf ear to the multitudes of parents and teachers who continue to struggle with implementation?

That's like saying sandbagging is the fault of the salesman. It's a fault on the incentive program. RTTT and NCLB before that, have created a situation where school districts will lie, cheat, and manipulate to get their hands on federal funding. It has to change at the top, not with the districts.

So happy that one state is using my child as part of their experiment. :mad:

Platitudes are lazy.

Your contributions to this topic have been poorly thought out and completely unresearched to say the least. It is not about "people who don't get it" and I find that insulting. Do I strike you as stupid or ignorant? Incapable of rational thought or well-reasoned analysis? Casual in my approach to serious subjects? I have completely immersed myself in this because it impacts my child.....so far it has been a negative impact. Get back to me when you are up to speed.

8. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

My contribution is this, my kid is doing quite well, I figured it out. That's what I know, and I speak about what I know, not a bunch of articles from people I don't know. doesnt seem like I'm the one that's not up to speed here.

9. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

You know, every time I have ever looked at another parent or child, shaken my head and thought they "just didn't get it", it came back to bite me right in the ass. I'm glad you have it all figured out.

shane0911 and Winston1 like this.
  10. red55

Well, that article suggest that the K-3 standards did not involve enough K-3 teachers, which I am willing to accept. That is fixable, if true. But it did not condemn the 4-12 standards. I did see someone comment that there were apparently "no psychologists or people who understand childhood brain development" involved in common core at all. But I did not see any documentation of this and I must say that find it unlikely.

I'm not turning a deaf ear, I'm considering your viewpoint. I only mention that there are other viewpoints and Common Core has a vast amount of support among teachers and parents as well. 45 states.

That is illogical. You just said it . . . "school districts will lie, cheat, and manipulate". Place the blame where it belongs. Incentives are good. Lying, cheating, and manipulating is bad. Most districts don't cheat. Fix the bad districts and fire the bad people and don't allow complacency to continue, I say.

A non-sequitur.