8/22/2015 Scrimmage Notes

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUDad, Aug 22, 2015.

1. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

LSU coach Les Miles says Harris had “significant” advantage in snaps at Saturday’s scrimmage
    August 22, 2015 Marcus Rodrigue
    Sophomore Brandon Harris and junior Anthony Jennings split first-team reps at quarterback “pretty evenly” during LSU’s second scrimmage of fall camp Saturday, said coach Les Miles. The coach, however, later said Harris had a “significant” advantage in snaps.

Here are more tidbits from the press conference:

• Maea in the mix: Freshman offensive guard Maea Teuhema worked with the first team during the scrimmage, Miles said. He said Teuhema, along with junior Ethan Pocic, worked at both left and right guard. “You could possibly see [Teuhema] out there in virtually every game,” he said.
    • More on QBs: Miles said Harris completed 12 of 17 passes during the scrimmage, but Jennings threw more touchdowns. Harris added 16 yards on five rushes. “There’s real competition there, and I’m encouraging it,” Miles said of the QBs, who did not don green no-contact jerseys. “…Both guys are really improving.”[​IMG]
    • Injury update: Miles gave no timetable for return for senior safety Jalen Mills, who suffered an ankle injury at Wednesday morning’s practice. Mills is aiming to play against Auburn in week 3.
    • Filling in: With Mills out of the lineup, several players had a chance to make plays in his stead. Miles said junior safety Corey Thompson had a “great downhill tackle” on sophomore running back Leonard Fournette. Sophomore safety John Battle also made some “significant plays,” the coach said. Miles did not mention junior Rickey Jefferson, who is expected to take Mills’ spot in the starting lineup.
    • Defense still ahead: For the second time in as many scrimmages, LSU’s defense got better of its offense. “We’re a pretty fast, physical defense,” Miles said. “We have a difficult time running and throwing against that first team defense.” Miles also said he was bothered by pre-snap penalties on offense, something that irked him in the first scrimmage last Saturday.
    • Delahoussaye in the lead: Junior kicker Colby Delahoussaye is still in front of classmate Trent Domingue in the race to be the Tigers’ field-goal kicker. Delahoussaye held the starting job for most of last season before splitting time with Domingue in the final weeks.
    • More stats: Miles said the offense gained 270 rushing yards and 250 passing yards. The QBs combined to throw seven TDs and one interception. Fournette picked up 100 rushing yards on 10 carries, and sophomore running back Darrel Williams added another 31 yards on eight attempts.

LSUTiga likes this.
  2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Pre snap penalties. That's been a killer for LSU in the past. Let's hope that gets cleaned up.

Don't know how i feel about the line where he says they couldn't do much on the first team D. Either the D is really good, or the O isn't. Still very early though.

P&G_wheelz007 and Winston318 like this.
  3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I have a want to take anything Les says with a grain of salt

@TheBayouBlogger likes this.
  4. Winston318

Winston318 I know football!!!!!

Is the O-line bad or is the freshman o lineman that damn good.
    CLM said they struggled to run and pass against the First team defense but ended up with 270 rushing yards. Is the second team D that bad

5. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Scrimmage numbers are basically usless.

LSUDad likes this.
  6. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Kind of like Pre-season NFL games.

7. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Harris works more with starters in LSU scrimmage
    4h
    [​IMG]
    Les Miles says Brandon Harris will get plenty of chances to take the starting QB job from Anthony Jennings. Wesley Hitt/Getty Images
    • [​IMG]
      David Ching, ESPN Staff Writer

BATON ROUGE, La. -- As only he can, LSU coach Les Miles said quarterback Brandon Harris took more snaps with the starting offense in Saturday’s scrimmage than did Anthony Jennings.

Determining how many more snaps Harris took than his competitor would require a lesson in Miles-speak.

“[They split reps] pretty evenly,” Miles said after the 120-play situational scrimmage that started Tiger Stadium and ended at LSU’s indoor practice facility because of rain and lightning. “Brandon Harris had the advantage significantly. All in all, it was pretty close.”

So which was it? Miles is being intentionally vague about the position battle, as he has been since the Harris-Jennings competition started more than a year ago. But he made it clear that Harris continues to get the first opportunity to steal the job from Jennings, who started 12 of 13 games last season.

In a rare disclosure for the Tigers’ coach, Miles said Harris completed 12 of 17 passes in the scrimmage and that the quarterbacks passed for a total of 250 yards, seven touchdowns and one interception. Miles added that the offense totaled 270 rushing yards, led by sophomore Leonard Fournette’s 10 carries for 100.

Miles didn’t come close to naming Harris as his starter for the Sept. 5 opener against McNeese State, however. In fact, he said Jennings might have had the better day of the two on Saturday.

“I want to see the development continue,” Miles said. “I think Anthony is competing. He had a big day. He probably threw for more touchdowns than Brandon did in this day. I still want to watch, still want them to compete.”

As far as the defense, Miles said the starters didn’t surrender much on the ground or through the air and that the pass rush continues to improve under the guidance of new defensive line coach Ed Orgeron.

Miles also credited safety Corey Thompson, who sat out last season while returning from an ACL tear, for laying a big hit on Fournette. He added that safety John Battle also made “some significant plays” -- both good signs as the Tigers work to replace senior starter Jalen Mills, who is out for the foreseeable future after injuring his ankle in practice on Wednesday.

As for how much time he expects Mills to miss, Miles wouldn’t -- or couldn’t -- say.

“I would not want to put too long a time frame on it,” Miles said. “I think there’s a want from him to get healed and get better faster. … If he can get back here in four weeks, get back here in three, back here in five, I don’t want to put anything on it. I’m going to let him really describe his healing and treatments.”

Miles said the Tigers practiced special teams scenarios on Saturday and that freshmen Derrius Guice and Donte Jackson -- who could be used in a variety of ways this season -- were among the return men getting work.

“I think both of those guys are going to be carrying the ball for us in kick and punt scenarios,” Miles said, later adding, “[Jackson is] really, really fast. If he gets in front of you and makes you miss, you’re in trouble.”

Another freshman duo that Miles said could contribute this season is Maea Teuhema and Toby Weathersby. Teuhema has worked at both guard positions, Miles said, and “I think you could possibly see him out there in virtually every game.”

Saturday marked LSU’s second major scrimmage of the preseason. The Tigers’ preseason practice schedule shows that they are to scrimmage again on Tuesday afternoon.

8. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

Yeah, the vagueness about the QBs is troubling to me personally. BH had "significant advantage"? in snaps? time w/1st team?
    AJ had the "better day", "threw more TDs"? i fear that they going to use AJ in goal line and loft it up every time to Malachi.

9. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Well, there are possibly another 3 D's int he SEC just as good or better than LSU. SOOO......

10. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

I was at a scrimmage yesterday and another last Saturday. Yesterday a number of players were held out, or limited duty. Coaches know what starters can do, there maybe a mix on the OL, still trying to get the best 5. Two weeks left till real games, teams get tired of hitting each other .