36 Years Ago Today

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by COTiger, Feb 22, 2016.

1. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

Probably the greatest sporting event I ever watched. Iconusaflagsmiley.gif

And I doubt I knew who Al Michaels was before the game. IconLOL.gif

fanatic and shane0911 like this.
  2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

FA couple of years ago I heard that even now when Al Michaels makes a difficult put he exclaims" Do you believe in miracle? Yes!"

The game was only shown on taped delay and not televised live. Can you imagine an event of that magnitude not being on live TV

3. COTiger

It was televised live in Canada. Figures since hockey is their main sport. Thank goodness I didn't know the results in advance when I watched the game.

4. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

I was 11, maybe not yet 11 and watched it on a little 12" b/w TV at the corner of my room. I don't think I had ever watched a hockey game prior to that, maybe 10 to 12 since but I watched ever second of that game. It was awesome!

fanatic likes this.
  5. ehusson80

ehusson80 Founding Member

happened 12 days b4 I was born, so unfortunately it has never held that sort of significance for me. Plus it's hockey. I wish I could relate and understand.

6. COTiger

Here's a link to the full game. Keep in mind the Russians were and had been for some time the best non NHL team. I believe that they could beat a substantial number of NHL teams on a regular basis. Meanwhile, we were a bunch of college kids happy just to be playing in the Olympics. Herb Brooks worked a whole lot of magic and it resulted in a gold medal. Definitely in the top 3 of the greatest sporting events I have ever watched. Watch it. Definitely worth the time.

7. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

who won.

8. COTiger

Sweden

9. kcal

kcal Founding Member

took a few years but we got even for that basketball game

10. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

I was alive and I still don't really care. Beating Comrade mattered, so there was that.

...but I have recently been going to hockey games with a buddy that has season tickets. Significantly different game live than it ever was on tv. You gotta follow the puck like a sonofabitch, but it is a fun game...for free... Fans are a different breed. Game etiquette is bizzare, but respectable. Like, if the puck is in play, you cant walk down to your seats till they pick it up. They are kinda blood thirsty bunch, so that has merit. Beer lines are bullshit though. Only at a hockey game does a beer line start at the pisser.