21 Soft Verbals

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by bhelmLSU, Jul 29, 2015.

1. ROY_LA_CA

ROY_LA_CA Founding Member

Plus they have two major schools pulling from the talent they have.

LSUDad likes this.
  2. unclenick

unclenick LSU & USMC

Both states have great talent. This year Alabama has the top two linebackers at the OLB & ILB, ccording to the 247 place.

Alabama just moved to the #3 position, behind LSU there. I assume once those two commit to Alabama, and a few more top commits, they'll finish ahead of LSU again.

But LSU could pull out out some surprises. Either way. both should finish strong.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
    ParadiseiNC likes this.
  3. Brian

Brian Founding Member

IMO, the key in recruiting is NOT who you recruit, but rather who you recruited and then developed.

Development is the key in college football. Star ratings and measurables are nice, but if you can't progress the kid then it's over with before the game starts.

Bengal B likes this.
  4. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

You can't teach speed and god given ability, but you can coach up guys with or without it. A good teaching coach that can't recruit talent will have about the same level of success as a bad teaching coach that can recruit talent. Talent can cover bad coaching and good coaching can cover poor recruiting to some degree. However top tier programs have staffs that can do both and they are well paid to do it.

Brian and Bengal B like this.
  5. ThePhenom74

ThePhenom74 Founding Member

You need both, the talent but the ability to mold that talent. Put them in the right schemes, etc.

Both LSU and Bama have done exceptional jobs at bringing in the talent. Let's be honest though, Bama has done a much better job at coaching them up over the last few years. Both schools lose a lot of talent each year.

Another key is finding kids that may be under the radar. Kids who might not play in the best system to showcase their ability. Work ethic and heart are attributes that more times than not get overshadowed by amazing athletic ability. We often see a kid with less talent develop into a much better player than one with all the physical skills in the world.

Brian and P&G_wheelz007 like this.
  6. LSU_4_LIFE

LSU_4_LIFE Founding Member

I have always thought that LSU players played with better individual talent (more stars running around) and Bama players always play better as a unit. Maybe its just biased, but I feel like that reflects in the NFL as well. Probably just bias though. Damn P&G Googles

LaSalleAve and Brian like this.
  7. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Bama has done a better job developing OL and DL only IMO. However like the saying goes and especially in the SEC, games are won in the trenches. I think the hires made in the last 2 years may give LSU the advantage in the trenches soon if we can hold on to our OL and DL coaches.

tigerchick46 likes this.
  8. ThePhenom74

ThePhenom74 Founding Member

I'd also give Bama the advantage at QB and LB as well.

I do agree that the recent hires could even things or swing them in the favor of LSU. I really feel O will definitely coach up the DL to the fullest of their capabilities. Hopefully Steele brings better, more consistent tackling to the LB core. Bama always had a great group of LB's I think he will improve that group.

LSU does have an advantage at DB and special teams.

Brian likes this.
  9. kluke

kluke Founding Member

I think Bama also used a scheme that was more traditional to how DLs were used. So they looked more developed in comparison then they may have actually been. Both schools have produced great DL talent. Bama has been better at the LBs, and LSU at the DBs.

10. unclenick

unclenick LSU & USMC

I disagree. It's all about who you sign. Ex. #5 player taken in the NFL draft out of Iowa. Is 32 year Brian Ferentz, Kirk's lil brother, known as a top OL coach anywhere besides the Ferentz family in Iowa?

There are far too many examples of very mediocre schools puting out top talent, to simply say it's mostly just coaching them up.

Recruits either have the physical & mental talent or the don't.

just my 02. cents

TigerTap likes this.