21 Soft Verbals

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by bhelmLSU, Jul 29, 2015.

1. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

That's one reason I hardly follow recruiting now.

Tiger in NC likes this.
  2. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

I've definitely lost some faith in what the recruiting services say. Don't get me wrong, I love seeing talented guys committing but in the back of my mind I know it isn't final until the ink is dry.

LSUDad and ParadiseiNC like this.
  3. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

I have a feeling you're like me in that "A man's word is his bond, a handshake is a contract."

ParadiseiNC likes this.
  4. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

Exactly! That used to mean something....still does for some of us.

Brian likes this.
  5. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

The way it is supposed to be. The way my grandfather did it. Big reason this country is in the freaking toilet is because this has gone away.

Tiger in NC and TwistedTiger like this.
  6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It's a game the coaches play with recruits. Many top recruits out there are collecting offers. It's how they measure their self-worth and coaches have to offer them early or they will get locked out of consideration. Teams may not have room for all of the early offers and everybody knows it. Coaches used to call them "Spring offers" or "non-committable offers". Even the offers they have accepted are kind of soft because all teams have pulled offers from committed recruits for various reasons. So it does not really surprise anyone that the commitments are as soft as the offers.

The NCAA should probably allow recruits who really want to attend a particular school to sign a LOI early, in the summer before their senior year, and get it over with. If they don't sign early, then everyone realizes that all remaining recruits are open until signing day after the season.

ParadiseiNC and LSUDad like this.
  7. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

I'm still caught in the middle on this idea. I like it but it has its downsides as well.

ParadiseiNC likes this.
  8. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Recruiting is such a sleazy thing. I just wish we could keep Saban out of this state. Like if we could have a mole inside his organization that tipped someone off so the police would pull him over as soon as he crossed the state line or he left an airport in Louisiana and detained him for a few hours making him late for visits. That would be great. Or if we could sign a pact that said he can keep all the players from Alabama we won't recruit there and he can't recruit in Louisiana. Or any HS coach that tried to send their players to Alabama inside the state that LSU wants would be fired.

9. ThePhenom74

ThePhenom74 Founding Member

Agreed, I HATE losing any instate player LSU covets, but it's worse when it comes to losing a player to Saban and Bama. To make matter worse Miles and LSU NEVER steal any top instate Al kids from Bama. Sure we picked up Kwon but Bama was supposedly never really after him.

10. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Every now and then we get a highly touted kid from Alabama, JR comes to mind, Kwon, Melvin Oliver was a good one too. But I just don't think (could be wrong) that Alabama has the talent Louisiana has.

didit and ROY_LA_CA like this.